Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: SSRS vs CR for 2007? Post Reply Post New Topic
Henk

Online Status: Offline
Quote Henk Replybullet Topic: SSRS vs CR for 2007?
    Posted: 05 May 2007 at 2:27am
Hi Brian,

With interest I quickly screened your "whitepaper SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and Crystal Reports comparison".

At our company we're dealing with the same issue: a choice between SSRS or Crystal Reports.

I saw this article is written in 2005, so the Report Builder from Microsoft is not yet mentioned. Can you tell me if there are any more worth mentioning differences between the 1.0 version of SSRS and the current version of SSRS

Is this whitepaper still an appropriate description of the current situation?

----
Kind regards, Henk

Note: I changed the title to make it a bit shorter - Brian

Edited by BrianBischof - 05 May 2007 at 9:37pm
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2007 at 9:35pm
Hi Henk,

I've come across some interesting conversations with programmers that showed me that "the masses" have not been real happy about the new SSRS. And a friend of mine that works in Silicon Valley has also told that companies he's talked to have switched back from SSRS to CR. But the BIGGEST revelation was in this article where MS has decided to gut SSRS and rebuild it due to rendering issues they've seen. They are expecting to rewrite it and release it in the next version of SQL Server. When MS is admitting that they need to rewrite SSRS, then you don't need my whitepaper to tell you that there is trouble in paradise. That's a huge problem to openly admit to, and I can only imagine the number of complaints it took to get them to do this. Here is the link, but you'll have to start near the middle to find the discussion about SSRS. Another interesting comment made is that Bill Vaughn (the author of SSRS Hich-hikers Guide) says that the new SSRS 2005 hasn't really changed much from the original version.

http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Fp2849%2F06bp49%2F06bp49.asp

And here is an interesting article how MS is flip-flopping on how they handle parameters within each service pack and how this is causing people so much grief.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2006/08/14/700189.aspx

I hope these links give you more info to consider.

Edited by BrianBischof - 05 May 2007 at 10:01pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version