Tips and Tricks
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Tips and Tricks
Message Icon Topic: manual crosstab Post Reply Post New Topic
PanAfro

Online Status: Offline
Quote PanAfro Replybullet Topic: manual crosstab
    Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 12:06pm
I am working on a manual crosstab report in CR 2008. I have different date columns that cause the detail section for some columns to be blank as a given data can be under only one of these columns. If column A has data, for example, all other columns will be blank for that detail row.
In the group footer of each column, I need to list the details in ascending order BUT eliminate all blanks for that column.
how can I get the nth smallest number to ignore blank detail records?
If this is not possible, can use a subreport to summarize and sort the data in the main report ?
Attached is a link to the snapshot of a portion of the report.

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 10:44am
What are you grouping on for your row level data?
IP IP Logged
PanAfro

Quote PanAfro Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 10:59am
I am grouping by Shift (first) and by staff Level (second). I placed the nth smallest formula in the staff level group footer. But the formula is considering the blanks in the columns shown in the previous attachment (which is actually part of the details section that is suppressed)
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 5:03pm
Sorry but I am having a hard time understanding your data set up.
First I think I was trying toa ssist you with an actual crosstab, but now I am thinkning that you are trying to mimic a crosstab with an actual report so each row is showing a different group "minimim" correct?
This would be very hard to get rid of your spaces becasue in escence you are trying to display different groups onto a single row.
If the above is correct, is there a reason that you are not really using a crosstab rather than just mimicking it?

IP IP Logged
PanAfro

Quote PanAfro Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 5:58pm
Thanks, DBlank.
I have it working now.
Yes, I am using a manual crosstab, because given the complicated nature of the report, the wizard could not help me much.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 7:02pm

Great.

You may want to post your resolution for others to learn from.
Thanks.
IP IP Logged
PanAfro

Quote PanAfro Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 3:28am
Well, I wanted a report that could show workers on shift in two stores of a retail outlet side by side. I wanted the report grouped by shift(first) and by the level/designation of the worker(second). The columns should show the seven days of the week and, for each day, the two stores A and B as shown in the previous attachment. The crosstab wizard did a pretty good job but when it came to listing the workers, i could not view multiple workers for one shift and at one level. I couldn't for example, see all five of the shopping assistants who were on morning shift - as the aggregate section is what it is, an aggregate.
I was advised to use manual crosstab and insert a formula into each detail section for each day and store. Then i had to use multiple nth largest formula  in the group footer to list the top n workers for each shift/designation. It is a rather long story, but if anyone has further interest they can post a reply and we can take it from there.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version