Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Can't connect to SQL server Post Reply Post New Topic
MaryFran

Online Status: Offline
Quote MaryFran Replybullet Topic: Can't connect to SQL server
    Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 12:00pm
I am a novice Crystal and SQL user, but have a SQL Server Express 2008 database connection established and am trying to reach that connection through my newly installed Crystal Reports. I connect to SQL using Windows Authentication, but Crystal is asking me for a UserName and Password in order to make a connection.  Can someone help me get started here, please?  I would be much obliged!
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar

Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 2:54am
Hi
Can you login in SQL Server Express 2008 database using Windows Authentication first try that .......if not then try SQL Server Authentication......

Then what type of connection you are using from Crystal to connect to Sql 2008 database i.e. OLEDB or ODBC......

Cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
MaryFran

Quote MaryFran Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 5:44am

I already can and do login to SQL through Windows authentication.  I don't know how to login using SQL Server authentication, as I don't know a UserID or Password.  I've tried by OLEDB and ODBC, but in both cases they're looking for a userid and password.

IP IP Logged
MaryFran

Quote MaryFran Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 11:13am
Update to previous post - I was able to make a connection by adding \SQLEXPRESS to the end of the server name and choosing my database when it came up in the dropdown.  But when I try to expand the nodes I get "object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation" - which I don't understand, but I do know that I can go into SQL Server Management and update the database just fine (it uses Windows Authorization, as mentioned earlier).  Can ANYONE tell me what I need?  Very frustrated!
IP IP Logged
Luis2101

Quote Luis2101 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 12:14pm
MaryFran:

It sounds like you've just about got it. I'm not sure if the following is what you're doing, but I've connected to SQL databases from Crystal several times and this has always worked for me.

In the Database Expert, select Create New Connection and choose OLE DB (ADO). Select the Native SQL Client provider from the list (you have to scroll down to the bottom).

Select your data source from the drop down, and the database. Check-off "Integrated Security", and click Finish, not Next. If you click Next, you will end up getting an error, you must click Finish.

Try that and see how it goes.
IP IP Logged
MaryFran

Quote MaryFran Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 12:28pm

OMG, that was it, Luis - the only difference between what I did and what you instructed was that I pressed Next to get my connection and you said to press Finish - why would that cause me an error?  Oh well, I can't thank you enough!Smile

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version