Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: suppress blank section of data field and the label Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
johnwsun

Online Status: Offline
Quote johnwsun Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 5:14pm
Yes, I did; Because there was an error of "field name unknow" when saving this formula to exactly as you gave me.
As far as I can understand this issue, if the datafield in this section is null, the blank line can be suppressed; however, there is a text/label there, and the report thinks, "oh, there is something there, I cannot suppres it"
any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 7:05pm
OK I think I might know what is going on here. I think you are putting the formula in the "Suppress Blank Section" in the section expert correct? If so:
1. Put it in the "Suppress(No drill Down)" formula box area. I should have made that clear on the first post and I assumed that was where you were putting it. Sorry about that.
2. Make sure the check box next to the Suppress(No Drill Down) is NOT checked. If it is checked it will suppress all of your detail records not just the empty ones based on the formula you just put in.
3. Take any formula out of the Suppress Blank section, you can still check the box but it should not have any effect because as you state "oh, there is something there, I cannot suppres it".

What we are doing is not suppresses a blank section but suppressing the whole section per row based on a condition. It will still show your other detail rows because they do not meet the condition we are puttiing in the formula. By putting the formula in the right place you can have 100 things in the section and still suppress it based on nearly any condition you want.
As an FYI to help you in the future when reading these posts, almost always people will share code to help but include fake values in the code because we do not know what your table or field names are (like the isnull(table.field) ). When reading the posts you have to insert your own data fields to make them applicable to your database and reports.
I really hope this one works for you Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
johnwsun

Quote johnwsun Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 9:57pm

Thanks very much, DBlank, it now works after putting in the "Suppress(No drill down" Also thanks for how to clearly submit a query to the forum.

CheersSmile

IP IP Logged
desaish

Quote desaish Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 3:55am
Thanks a many. Using formulas in section expert really suppresses rows with blank field values.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version