Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: "can grow" causing report to abort? Post Reply Post New Topic
falcon549

Online Status: Offline
Quote falcon549 Replybullet Topic: "can grow" causing report to abort?
    Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 11:59am

Every morning, we run a utility that extracts BLOB images from an Oracle database and stores them in a separate table in JPEG format. These images are then displayed in a Crystal Report along with other data.

The problem is that on occasion I will get an "out of memory" CR error message while trying to print the report. Some of the report may print, but I found that when it gets to any image that is approximately 3.5 megabytes or larger, the error will occur and CR will freeze. I found that I can delete all images from the table exceeding 3.5 megabytes and run the report again with no error, just that the image will be missing for that particular record. The 3.5 megabyte is just a number I found through trial and error. I don't think that it's a hardware problem since this report will abort at the same point whether it's running on a older machine or a brand new quad-core with 2 GB of RAM.

I recently found that by setting "can grow" option to false on the CR image, the report will run to completion regardless of the image size, but the picture is distorted and just plain unusable.

That makes me think that the problem is obviously associated with the "can grow" option on the image field, not the size of the image. Anybody ever come across this problem? Any workarounds? I've googled to no avail.

Thanks, Bill.

Edited by falcon549 - 11 Nov 2008 at 12:06pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version