Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports .NET 2003 : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: ReportDocument can't find typed reports Post Reply Post New Topic
dckerry

Online Status: Offline
Quote dckerry Replybullet Topic: ReportDocument can't find typed reports
    Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 11:36am
Hi, I am trying to add a ReportDocument control to the web form. In the dialog there are no options to select a typed report, only untyped. I have created a report though called testReport.rpt and the class is called testReport so I don't know why it can't find it. Any ideas?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 12:15pm

Are you using CR.NET 2003? I ask this b/c this works in 2003 (and I never had any problems with selecting typed reports), but they removed that feature from CR.NET 2005. Many people using CR.NET 2005 look for this feature and get confused as to why its not there.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dckerry

Quote dckerry Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 12:21pm
No, I am just using the embedded version of crystal that comes with visual studio 2003.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 2:02pm
I don't know then. The ReportDocument component should have a dropdown list that shows the strongly typed reports that you can choose from. I haven't seen it happen where this doesn't work.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dckerry

Quote dckerry Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 3:18pm
I think something is wrong with my setup. I went in to add remove items to the toolbar and there were two ReportDocument items. I removed both and then when I went back in to add it there was only one. After adding it to the toolbar I double clicked it to add to the form and it just added it, no prompt for typed reports or otherwise - odd.

I am going to try reinstalling or repairing the crystal portion of my visual studio to see if that helps at all. Thanks for your time anyway.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 3:30pm
Reinstalling sounds like a good idea. Make sure you get the service packs too! There are tons of bugs in the original CR.NET 2003.
IP IP Logged
dckerry

Quote dckerry Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 3:49pm
These are crystal patches, not vs patches? Sorry, I have been writing reports and programming for a long time but integrating into my apps is new to me. Your books is really good, just wish the stuff worked for me but it must be my setup. thanks again
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 4:54pm

There are both VS service paces and CR service packs. Install the CR service packs last.

I'm glad that you find my books helpful! 
IP IP Logged
dckerry

Quote dckerry Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 5:58am
Sorry, one last thing. Does anyone have the url to the crystal service packs. Going to the url in the book just bounces me to the main SAP support site like every other crystal url since sap bought them, frustrating.
IP IP Logged
dckerry

Quote dckerry Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 12:32pm
I got this working eventually by hand coding in the reportdocument. There is still no option for me to select a typed report in the dialog but it works typing it into the code behind so whatever...
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version