Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Downloading R2 for XI Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
userinmd

Online Status: Offline
Quote userinmd Replybullet Topic: Downloading R2 for XI
    Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 2:19pm
Just bought the book.  Great!  In the Preface you recommend downloading R2 and provide a link.  The link no longer words and user is directed to the SAP site.
I registered there and was presented with a list of downloads, but don't see the original Release 2.  Lots of Hot fixes and Service Packs up to 4.  If I install SP 4 I assume it contains everything I need, but hoped for confirmation.
Have you or anyone tried this on the original XI version?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 2:36pm
Glad you like the book! 

Yes, since SAP acquired Business Objects their site has compeletely changed and every link is broken down. I went to the download site to see which one you should get now. To be honest, it isn't completely clear. The most obvious choice is just "Crystal Reports XI R2". But I see that SP4 says "incremental" which means that it is bug fixes only. You still need to full download the full XI R2 file and then run SP4 after installing R2. Ugh.

It will take me forever to download 1.5 gigs just to test this out. It would be great if you could report back if you download this file and it is the one you need.

-Brian
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 2:37pm
Oh yeah - for anyone who comes across this post, the SAP download link is here:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects-downloads
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
userinmd

Quote userinmd Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 8:19am
I will give it a try.  I didn't think it was clear, either.  I never saw the plain old XI R2.  I think SP2 is the first one available, but I will check again.  I did see the dreaded incremental.  I thought I would try SP3 first since hopefully, it will contain everything up to that point.  Will let you know.  Thanks!
IP IP Logged
userinmd

Quote userinmd Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 9:44am

I downloaded and installed R2 and then downloaded and installed SP3 and SP4 from SAP site.  Reporting back as requested.

I am having one issue.  When I open the app or any report not stored in the Workbench, Windows Installer comes up and then I get a Wait While XI configures R2.  This takes 10 minutes and I get java prompt pop ups with java.exe running in a window.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sure would appreciate.
Also, downloaded your training reports for the book, Brian.  Missing Chapter 10.  Is there one or did I lose it somehow?

Thanks again.

IP IP Logged
matt1361

Quote matt1361 Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 9:57am
I am having this same problem.  Has anyone come up with a solution for it?

Thanks,
Matt
IP IP Logged
jessiemacmillan

Quote jessiemacmillan Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 11:14am
I found the download of R2 with SP2 here: http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/service_packs/crxir2.asp. The zip file is 1.03 gigs. It sounds like I should hold off on installing SP3 and SP4.

Jessie
IP IP Logged
userinmd

Quote userinmd Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 11:45am
I am going to uninstall SP4 and see what happens.   If it continues, I will uninstall SP3.
It is very annoying!

If anyone is successful getting rid of the issue, please post and I will do the same.

IP IP Logged
jessiemacmillan

Quote jessiemacmillan Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 12:36pm
I just installed R2 with SP2 and I've been getting the Windows installer problem. Once I get Crystal Reports open, I can open anything I need to, but the installer wants me to do nothing else while it's doing its thing.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 2:16pm
I had this problem when I was writing the XI book. The only way I got rid of it was to uninstall CR XI from my computer and then install the R2 download as a clean install. It is a full install and doesn't need XI to be on your computer beforehand. Then the installer nightmare went away. 

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version