Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Report XI - Image appears after refresh Post Reply Post New Topic
jayaaniithaa

Online Status: Offline
Quote jayaaniithaa Replybullet Topic: Crystal Report XI - Image appears after refresh
    Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 1:48pm

A Visual Studio .NET 2003 (VS .NET) web application references Crystal Report XI 11.5.3300.0. The report image appears as red 'X' on page load and when the page is refreshed image appears.

The image when it appears as red 'X' exists at “C:\Documents and Settings\<<machine name>>\ASPNET\Local Settings\Temp\cr_tmp_image_” location. Whereas the image that are properly displayed doesn’t exists in that location.

The application is deployed in the server using Merge module.

I am facing this problem in production server, only for the past 1 month.

I tried re-installing the merge module but it didn’t work. I have the same setup in development server and its is working fine.

I need to resolve it asap. Can anyone help me to resolve this?

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks in advance

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 3:36pm
There are two KB articles about this and they say that
there are two things happening. The first is that you are using Forms Authentication and you don't have permission to view the file crystalimagehandler.aspx. You have to modify the web config file to make this accessible.

The second reason is that the app was deployed manually and not using with the merge modules. The files were not deployed correctly and you have to either move the files to the GAC or copy them to the same virtual directory as crystalimagehandler.aspx. You are clearly using the merge modules, so this probably isn't your issue.

The KB articles are here:

A third problem I've seen, although I can't find any KB articles on it, is that the virtual directory that stores the images never gets created. As mentioned before, this can happen during a manual installation. To fix this you need to create a folder within the Inetpub/wwwroot folder called 'CrystalReportWebFormViewer2'. Copy from the development machine the file in the Viewers folder (and its subfolders). This is found in the Crystal Reports folder of the MS.NET Program Files installation location. After creating the folder and copying the image files over, make it an IIS application by right-clicking on it and selecting Properties. Then click the Create button. Now you ASP.NET application will be able to use the virtual directory to display the images on the report.

IP IP Logged
jayaaniithaa

Quote jayaaniithaa Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2006 at 8:36am

I am using Windows Autenthication. Deployed the application using merge module and necessary files are in GAC. The virtual directory['CrystalReportWebFormViewer115'] exists.  

Still the image is not coming and it appears after refresh.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2006 at 10:51am
If it shows after a refresh, but not before, then I think you have a possible bug on your hands. The report should show the same data/images every time. If not, then CR is making different requests of the server depending upon when the page is delivered. I was call tech support on this one. If it really is a bug in their software, then they refund you the support fee.
IP IP Logged
jayaaniithaa

Quote jayaaniithaa Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2006 at 11:32am
Can you explain me elaboratly what might be the problem from my hands?

I deployed another application using crystal report and that application is also having the same problem.

If it is the problem with the software then it shoudn't have worked before.

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2006 at 12:04pm
Unfortunately, I can't explain the problem from your hands. I don't have your computer in front of me so I can't analyze what is going wrong or what is different between the two computers. If you are  following the proper installation procedures on each computer, then something more complex is going wrong than what can be solved on a forum. You would need to call tech support to have someone analyze your computer setup. Sorry.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version