Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: parameter problems Post Reply Post New Topic
ofina

Online Status: Offline
Quote ofina Replybullet Topic: parameter problems
    Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 10:09am
I have a couple of parameters that I can't seem to get rid of.  I have seen several other posts of this problem on various websites, but none of the suggested solutions seem to help.

Y'see, the parameters aren't used anywhere.  There's no little check mark beside them, yet they still can't be deleted or editted.  I can change the name, but that's it.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care that they're there.  They're not really doing much harm.  Except I have a few other problems and I wonder if they're related. 

1.  When I refresh my report, it comes up with what looks like a parameter prompt box, but it's asking for login information to my data source.  I'm already logged in, so I don't know why it's doing this.  I don't think it happened the whole time I was working on the report, but just suddenly started.  It might have been around the same time that my broken parameters became broken.

2.  We're playing around with Crystal Corral as a viewer for the rest of the company.  The report opens just fine, but when we go to refresh it can't login to our datasource.  We have tried a myriad of ids and passwords and none work.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have read about people having to recreate their report from scratch to get rid of the broken parameters.  My report is pretty complex and I would dearly like to avoid that scenario.

Fiona
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:52am

A trick to get rid of parameters is to change their data type to something incompatible (e.g. changing a date to a number), then CR will give you an error when running the report and that tells you where it is being used. If there is no checkmark beside it, then maybe it isn't being used anywhere, but that's really odd that you can't delete them unless they are being used somewhere else.

I have no idea about Crystal Corral or anything related to it.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
ofina

Quote ofina Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 12:56pm
Yeah, it's not being used anywhere and even if it were, I can't get into the parameter to change the data type.  Can't delete it or open it up for editting at all.  All I can do is change the name.

If I try putting it back on the report, I get the error:
"Prompting failed with the following error message: ".

Error source: Error code: 0x80070057"

I have definitely seen people posting on the web about this exact problem.  So, it's not just me.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 3:26pm

Weird. Maybe it was somethign left over from upgrading from a previous version and CR didn't convert it properly? Don't know.....

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
ofina

Quote ofina Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 3:31pm
Nope.  Completely new report and have only ever had XI anyway.

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with deleting things in the wrong order or something.  Trying to delete the parameter before removing its occurences, or something like that. 

I have another report that it happened in, but I'm not too concerned about that one since I can recreate it easily.

However, your solution to my other post (shared variables) got rid of the strange server login parameter entry window that popped up.  So, if my problems with Crystal Corral have nothing to do with it, then maybe I'll just leave it the way it is and not fret.  The report still works the way it is supposed to.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version