Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Concatenate Text Post Reply Post New Topic
ablums

Online Status: Offline
Quote ablums Replybullet Topic: Concatenate Text
    Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:15pm
There is a table in my database that is solely for notes or extra text attached to a record from a different table.  The text references the primary key in the 'header' table and each line of text is defined with a Note_Sequence. 

I would like to list any populated description fields (up to 999 lines) with a comma separator between each field.  I have a vague recollection of a function (Concatenate) that will add a separator automatically, but I have not seen anything of the sort in Crystal.

I know there is probably a common function that will take care of this and I am just missing it... but I do appreciate any help,
Thanks for the help!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2008 at 8:26pm
The concatenate function in Crystal is just the '&'. However, to do what you need to do is a bit trickier because all the data is spread across multiple records. I suggest grouping on the primary key and in the Details section add a formula which has  Global string variable that concatenates the field for each record. Then print it in the Group Footer (making sure to enable the Can Grow property).

I cover all Crystal Reports functions and give sample code in my Encyclopedia book. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version