Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Visual Studio 2005? Post Reply Post New Topic
Marv

Online Status: Offline
Quote Marv Replybullet Topic: Visual Studio 2005?
    Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 1:39pm
Brian --

I am using Visual Studio 2005.  Things have changed enough that I am having trouble following your instructions (Chapter 1).  Is there an addendum anywhere that updates what has changed with new Visual Studio?

Thanks...Marv
Marv
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 1:43pm
What are you having trouble with? I've had many people get hung up on the first sample report with MS Access. People try to use it for SQL Server and it doesn't work b/c SQL requires a lot more code to enter user authentication. That example is meant to be very simplistic since it is in the first chapter. It only works with Access. To learn about SQL Server you have to go to the database related chapters to get all the details.

Re the addendum, I don't have one b/c I'm working on the CR XI book. But everything in Chapter 1 should be fine. Can you tell me the page/area you are confused about?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Marv

Quote Marv Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 1:58pm
Hi Brian --
Wow! Thanks for getting back...
I got through previewing with Windows Form, but I don't get previewing with ASP.Net.  It says "open the default web page in design mode".
I am in a Win Application.  Do I need to start a new solution? I don't have a Web Forms tab.  Is my Visual Studio not installed correctly, or do I need to start a new Web App?
As soon as I got to the ASP.Net page, things no longer made sense.
Marv
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 2:12pm
Yes, create a new web site (File | New Web Site) so that you exit the windows application. And then use the blank web page that it creates by default. Follow the steps from there and let me know if how it goes.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Marv

Quote Marv Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 2:53pm
Brian --
Page 13 says "double-clicking on the ReportDocument component"
I can't find a "ReportDocument component" in a "Components Section" of the toolbox.  I don't have a "Components Section" of the Toolbox.  Is this a change in VS2005?  ReportDocument is not under Crystal Reports??  I have a CrystalReportsViewer, CrystalReportsPartsViewer, and a CrystalReportSource within CrystalReports on the Toolbox.
Marv
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 3:28pm
The ReportDocument component is no longer there. I went ahead and walked through that sample report and here are the changes you'll need to note:

There is no ReportDocument component. Instead, in the top right-hand corner of the CrystalReportsViewer click on the small triangle to open the task list. In the dropdown list select New Report Source.

On the Create Report Source dialog box, enter a report name and then click the dropdown box to select New Report or Browse for an existing report. You can click Browse to open a report from the Crystal Reports samples found in the VS folders. (You can also create a new report, but clearly that will take longer to get through this demo).

Click the OK button when you have the report selected.

This returns you to the designer where you see the report on the screen.

Click the Run button to start your web application and see it in the IE browser.

There you go! This is actually fewer steps than VS 2003 because they do data binding for you automatically now.

IP IP Logged
Marv

Quote Marv Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 3:54pm
Thanks Brian!
These new version features make things difficult for a newbie!
I appreciate your help!!
Marv
Marv
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 4:13pm
Yeah, they changed a few things around and it can make it tough when you're brand new to CR. But the majority of the book should work for you. Are you going to be doing Windows or ASP.NET development?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version