Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: What book resource to use for CR standard edition? Post Reply Post New Topic
NicroJ

Online Status: Offline
Quote NicroJ Replybullet Topic: What book resource to use for CR standard edition?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 10:30am

Hello, to begin with let me say this is an excellent site with an abundance of information. I apologize if this is not the right area to post this question but I wasn’t sure just where I should post it.

I have been working with Visual Studios 2005 for a little over a year now. I am currently working on a site that is intended to be used for Planning and Scheduling of manufactured products, specifically electrical motors. In any regards I chose to do it with a website so that it can be accessed more easily from various areas, be it at work, or away from work.

I am a novice when it comes to developing websites but have made good progress in doing so. In any regards I finally reached a point where I need a good package that can give me nicely formatted reports and make it simple for someone to print out that information rather then just trying to print the webpage.

I have hopefully made a “decent” choice in that I purchased Crystal Reports XI standard edition. I had a difficult time trying to figure out what reporting software would work best so I figured I could try CR standard edition and see if it will meet my needs.

Therefore here is my question, from what I can gather, your book “Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Volume 1: Professional XI Reports” has a wealth of good information which may get me up to speed quickly. However I see it is for “Professional”. Would it still be a good resource for me since I am using the Standard edition? Would it be a good reference and learning tool if I am using CR specifically on a website? If not could you recommend another resource?

Thank you once again and I look forward to your feedback,

Nick

Edited by NicroJ - 16 Mar 2008 at 10:32am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 7:36pm
Glad you like the site! The Encyclopedia book is good for both the Professional edition and Standard edition. The two software products give yo almost identical reporting functionality and the designer is the same. The primary difference with the Standard edition is that you are more limited in the data that you can report from.

You mentioned building reports for a website. Will you be doing this with ASP.NET and integrating your reports into the site that way? If so, you'll need Volume 2 of the Encyclopedia. I don't have it out yet, but I have some chapters in the premier membership section and that also has my other two books online as well (one site, three books). You might find that helpful since you can read all of the books I've written. Click on the banner ad to go there.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
NicroJ

Quote NicroJ Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 2:25pm
Thank you for the response. Yes I will be building reports for the website itself which uses ASP.NET. Just for information they will be basic reports, or to make it simpler to print data rather then trying to print a webpage. Once I get up to speed I may try and tackle more indepth reports.

Again I am a novice and had a hard time trying to figure out what software to go with. When I found your site and began looking around I thought it would be a good idea to try CR since there is real good information here and a place to come to with questions if needed.

I will look over what you have in the premier membership, thank you again...

Nick
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version