Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Discrepancy between SAP CR 2016 and new runtimes Post Reply Post New Topic
brain

Online Status: Offline
Quote brain Replybullet Topic: Discrepancy between SAP CR 2016 and new runtimes
    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 12:25pm
I use SAP CR 14.2.2.1975 for developing reports.

We have a third-party product that uses CR Runtime. A recent upgrade included a change from 13.0.22.2668 to 13.0.24.2970. Of course, we have no control over that; the CR runtime installation is embedded in their software install/upgrade package.

I have a crosstab report that was already finely-tuned to just fit the page width-wise when the crosstab expands to show the data columns. When I run it in my dev version, it displays fine; however, when I run it through the software, using the same arguments, and only as of this upgrade (i.e. the operative change presumably being the new Crystal runtimes) the figures in the summary total row at the bottom overflow the width and therefore display as "#######" instead of the actual figures. This is in the preview as well as printing to physical printer or export to .pdf.

I took the easy way out and reduced the font pitch by one for those particular boxes, but it leaves me with little confidence that I can design any report having summary totals and have the result in the runtime be the same as it is in the dev version.

I cannot see any way that this can be their software; it has to be something different in the new CR runtime. They naturally say that because it is not in their software, I should take it up with SAP. However, I have no access to their code to see how they have implemented the SAP CR runtime API.

So the question is two-part:

1. In the specific case: any ideas on what could cause this discrepancy in how boxes are sized? Is it possible it is cross-tab specific and that the crosstab is sizing the boxes according to the individual cells, unaware that the summary is a digit larger?
2. In the general case: how would I take up an issue like this with SAP when I am not the developer and therefore can show only the result, not the methods used to invoke the API?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:15am
You might be able to make some headway on this by posting in the SAP Community Forums, specifically here: https://www.sap.com/community/topics/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio.html. You don't need to be an SAP client in order to register for the site so you can post. I know that there are some very knowlegable folks from SAP (and others, like me) who monitor questions on this site. This would at least bring the issue to SAP's attention.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:03am
Thank you. I have posted there.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version