Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Suppress records on conditionally suppressed field Post Reply Post New Topic
thummel1

Online Status: Offline
Quote thummel1 Replybullet Topic: Suppress records on conditionally suppressed field
    Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:33am
I am using CR2013. My report is grouped by Employee ID. There are 40 columns and in each column, there is a suppression formula being applied to hide any records where the record is in: ['ESSRole','PortalUser','BatchRole','PLPrdAccess','MSSRole']
OR
if the running total (I have a running total for each of the 40 columns)is >=1.

My next step is to identify ONLY the employees where SOMETHING is still being displayed in any of the 40 columns. For example, Bob has one record still displaying in column 18. He should still appear on the report. Sarah has no records appearing in any of the 40 columns, so she should be hidden. Is this possible? I attempted to try and conditionally suppress within the group any of the columns that are null, but technically, they are not null, so nothing is being suppressed.

All thoughts are welcome.

Edited by thummel1 - 22 Feb 2018 at 9:34am
"Press any key to continue. Where's the 'Any' Key?" ~Homer Simpson
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:49am
If they are not null, what are they?  If they are zero length strings, you can check for this.
IP IP Logged
thummel1

Quote thummel1 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:24am
They appear to still be not null, and they still return the same length string. I decided to try and apply the same suppression in the group within the Section expert. It seemed to be working there until I got to column 6 of 40. Suddenly all records appeared again instead of only returning those that had something in any of the preceding columns. I assumed there must be an error in one of my 3 'column 6' formulas, but I didn't see anything, leading me to think there's an error elsewhere that's interpreting data differently than I'm expecting. I'll keep digging into this, thanks
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:04pm
Be sure to have 'Convert Database NULL Values to Default' under Options or in the formula editor have the 'Default Values for Nulls' selected.

Edited by kevlray - 23 Feb 2018 at 1:05pm
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 7:23am
First I think you are applying tings in a stepped order and that is not how the suppression process is going to work. All the criteria of are equal value and processed at the same time except possibly the running total. It will be evaluated later which may be part of the issue.
Are you really using a Running Total or could you use a Summary Function? the result of it can be used as a group selection or group suppression criteria, unlike the RT.
IP IP Logged
thummel1

Quote thummel1 Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:09am
That is correct, I am using a running total. That's true, I should be able to change my RTs to a summary and test this out. Then I'd think I could apply criteria in the selection formula that says 'only include records where columns 1-40 contain the specified number value 'or' do not contain the specified text values.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version