Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Problem With Blank Field Post Reply Post New Topic
fuller31

Online Status: Offline
Quote fuller31 Replybullet Topic: Problem With Blank Field
    Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:44am
I have a report where sometimes one of the fields on the report might be blank every so often. I don't have anything weird going on with this field, it is simply a field that I want displayed on my report. Although that one particular field may be blank, I still need to display data from other fields relevant to that record to show on my report. When I run that report, none of the data on the record with the one blank field shows up. I'm not filtering by the field that is sometimes blank; I simply filter by date and time.

I just need this report to give me the other data even if the one field is blank.

Edited by fuller31 - 24 Jul 2017 at 10:45am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:04am
are you concatenating fields?
IP IP Logged
fuller31

Quote fuller31 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by DBlank

are you concatenating fields?

No
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:16am
unless you are using the 'blank' field in some capacity other than displaying it you should sill see the other fields from that row of data.
IF the field is NULL and you are using it in a formula and not accounting for NULL it will stop the formula from working
Or maybe you are using it in a select statement?
anything here seem likely?
IP IP Logged
fuller31

Quote fuller31 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by DBlank

unless you are using the 'blank' field in some capacity other than displaying it you should sill see the other fields from that row of data.
IF the field is NULL and you are using it in a formula and not accounting for NULL it will stop the formula from working
Or maybe you are using it in a select statement?
anything here seem likely?

The field in question is a narrative field; it is just a bunch of free text on each record. All it does is display.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 3:14am
Just pulling fields from one table/source and placing them on the report canvas should not make any rows disappear if a field is blank.
If you are joining tables/sources you might have an issue with your join that is excluding rows you want.
If you are using any select criteria the select criteria might be excluding NULLs which was not your intent.
A suppression formula might also explain it.

It is hard to tell with such limited information so I am just giving you areas to consider that might create the effect you are seeing. If any of these might be the issue please post more information about what your report uses and maybe someone can figure it out.

Edited by DBlank - 25 Jul 2017 at 3:15am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 3:24am
Is the field in a separate table that may or may not have a record for the rest of the data? For example a Notes table that only has data when there's a note? If so, you need to make the join FROM your other data TO the note, right-click on the link, go to something like "join options", and make it a left-outer join.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
fuller31

Quote fuller31 Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by hilfy

Is the field in a separate table that may or may not have a record for the rest of the data? For example a Notes table that only has data when there's a note? If so, you need to make the join FROM your other data TO the note, right-click on the link, go to something like "join options", and make it a left-outer join.

-Dell

That is exactly the situation - the field is a separate table that only has data when there's a note. I made it a left outer join, but still no change in the results.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:17am
is there a select statement that is effectively making the outer join into an inner join?
IP IP Logged
fuller31

Quote fuller31 Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:37am
Update - Right outer join seems to have solved the issue. Thanks to everyone for taking a crack at it!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version