Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: record missing if field is empty Post Reply Post New Topic
kornel

Online Status: Offline
Quote kornel Replybullet Topic: record missing if field is empty
    Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:38pm
Hi,

I’m in the process of creating my first Crystal Report. I’m using CR 11, the data source is an MDB file (created from Raiser’s Edge). The report displays constituent info, like name, address, home phone, cell phone, etc. alongside with some transaction info. (Note: constituents in the non-profit are like customers in the corporate world.)

When I include name and address, every record in the data source is displayed, even if the address is missing from the data source. However, when I add either type of phone number, only records that have that type of phone number are displayed. In other words, the constituents are displayed, even if they don’t have an address (obviously, the address field will be blank in the report); however, if they don’t have the type of phone that I include, the whole record disappears. If I remove the phone number, the missing records appear again.

In this specific case, there are 28 records in the source, 18 of which have a home phone number. If I include only name and address, all 28 are in the report, even if they don’t have an address. When I add the home phone number to the record, only those 18 are displayed that have a home phone number.

Any idea how to fix this?
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:31am
Sounds like a linking issue.  Are the phone numbers in a separate table?  If so, you may need to change the join type to that table.
IP IP Logged
kornel

Quote kornel Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:21pm
Thanks for pointing that out. I changed the join type from "Inner Join" to "Left Outer Join" and it is working now.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version