Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Combine Select data from two records Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
JWaldmann

Online Status: Offline
Quote JWaldmann Replybullet Topic: Combine Select data from two records
    Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:29am
I have a data select issue I cannot handle. For each company in my Excel spreadsheet I have two records. I need to display some of the information from one of the records and other information from the second. As this is rather vague, I am attaching an image with highlighted cells to ultimately display.

Is this even possible; and if so, can anyone help me do this?

Edited by JWaldmann - 15 Feb 2017 at 8:46am
IP IP Logged
MLEL

Quote MLEL Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:14am
Greetings. Did you ever figure out your issue? I have a similar problem but it will involve selecting data from 4 - 7 records to complete a page.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:04am
Cannot see image.  But if you have a field that unique that you can group on.  With formulas, you might be able to 'separate the data and display the data in the group footer (do not show details)
IP IP Logged
MLEL

Quote MLEL Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 6:47am
I can speak to my issue -

My excel input file consists of multiple rows that contain a student name, grade, class title, block in which the class runs, teacher and room. A student will have from 4 to 6 rows depending upon how many courses she is taking.

The report is designed to use the block number to dictate via a formula where on the report the course title, teacher and room prints. Each course will appear in 5 boxes in a defined grid schedule.

I grouped the report by student, hoping that the multiple rows for a single student would be processed before breaking to a new page and the next student.

What I ended up with was a report consisting of up to 6 pages per student with one course correctly laid out on each page. My goal was to get all of the courses for one student on a single page before moving on to the next student.

Is this possible?

Thank you.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:29am
For one thing, it appears that you have page breaks when you do not want them.  There are other objects that can cause page breaks (keep group together, keep object together, etc.). 
IP IP Logged
MLEL

Quote MLEL Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:48am
Thank you for your kind replies.

I am obviously missing something. I tried grouping on the student ID, keeping the original order which is alpha within grade level. I have tried it by checking "Keep Group Together" as well as unchecking the option. I have tried various options within the Section Expert without success. (Although I have managed to make it worse, lol!)

I cannot find an instructional video online that hits on my situation that I find helpful. My expertise in Crystal Reports is minimal and self taught. We have version 11.5.12.1838 that was used in conjunction with a previous student information system. I am trying to build a better mousetrap, so to speak, when printing student schedules. I was hoping Crystal Reports would be my answer.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:29pm
I wish I had a solution for you.  Unexpected page breaks are hard to track down.  Basically you need to find all the places where a Keep Group Together or Keep Object Together and uncheck the boxes
IP IP Logged
MLEL

Quote MLEL Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:34am
Intuitively, I would have thought it a good thing to Keep Group Together when you want records to print as a group. :)

I will uncheck any such boxes to see where that gets me.

Thank you.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 11:24am
It also sounds like you might have some unexpected line breaks or line feeds inside your data set.
I find it odd that it is a new pager per row even with the 'keep together' issue.
You might want to try to put lines around the fields to see if they are growing or to trim the fields to remove excess spaces or line feeds.
IP IP Logged
MLEL

Quote MLEL Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 9:15am
The excel file is created from a query (a "list" in Blackbaud-speak) against the student information system database. There are no page breaks or carriage controls that I can find in the output. It is a pretty straightforward extract of a student's classes by term.

It is good to know - on one hand - that this seems like it should be a feasible report.

I wonder if it is the structure of the report. I have a series of formula fields to identify the block in which a class occurs and to format the text of the class info in the appropriate pattern of the schedule. Simple If/Then statements. Each record or row in the input file appears in multiple locations on the report grid that is the 7 day schedule, representing one class. A student will have up to 6 records to identify her full schedule. The schedule grid is 5 rows with 7 columns where up to 30 of the 35 "bins" should contain class information.

The output now is 5 bins (of 35) for one class per student, per page. A student will have up to 6 pages in my current configuration.

I truly appreciate your time in helping me with this.

Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version