Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Need help linking a sub report Post Reply Post New Topic
C100

Online Status: Offline
Quote C100 Replybullet Topic: Need help linking a sub report
    Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:54am

Hi

I have a main report, I want to take what is populated in the details and footer, turn it into a sub report and display this sub report in the header instead.

(This is so that I can have the header data on the left of the page and the details/footer data on the right of the page without using lots of different overlay sections and have the header and details/footer grow and shrink independently of each other)

The main report has 3 parameters (ENTITY_ID, ENTITY TYPE, DOCUMENT_TYPE)

I have used the main report to make a sub report using the same data source and parameters.

I get the correct data back in the sub report preview, so far so good

The main report displays over multiple pages.

The sub report displays the same number of multiple pages.

However when i view the main report with the sub report data included, the sub report tries to show all 6 pages of the sub report on each of the 6 main report pages.

How can I get page one of the sub report to appear on page 1 of the main report (and page 2 on page 2 etc)

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:35am
If you have some criteria that you can link to the sub-report (account number, date range, etc.), then it should work.  You will not be able to link page numbers.
IP IP Logged
C100

Quote C100 Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:44pm
Hi

Thanks for that.

As I said in my original post I have linked the sub report to the main report using the 3 same parameters and the data is returned in the sub report with the same number of pages as the main report.

Its just when the sub report is viewed from the main report that it tries to print all the pages of the sub report before then printing the next page of the main report, where it then prints all the sub report pages again and repeats for each page of the main report.

Not sure if its grouping thats my proiblem?
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 5:00am
Basically what I am saying that apparently for each page there is a criteria for that page, you need to send that information to the sub-report to further filter it so that you do not get all the pages (if that will work for you).
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 8:11am
What type of section is your subreport in? In the main report, is there data in any other section than the group header?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
C100

Quote C100 Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:31am
Hi

The data is in group Header/Footer sections with some variables in the data section.
The sub report is in the group header.

Both the main report and the sub report have corresponding sections and the same grouping on both (this is the original grouping before the data was changed to a sub report).

If it helps I can email over the report with some stored data for someone to take a look at.
(I am trying to amend a report that someone else wrote and it did have lots of grouping and underlay sections making it a bit complex.)
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:41am
In addition to the parameters from the main report, you'll want to link and filter the subreport on the group field from the main report so that it only shows the data from the group whose header the subreport is in.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
C100

Quote C100 Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:13am
Sorry , I am really struggling with this.

The data in the sub report sits in GH10.
That section has a group on the SORT_SEQN field.
I have tried linking SORT_SEQN to SORT_SEQN in the sub report, but this gives me lots of blank pages as well as all the other pages.

The main report has 13 groups for 13 sections, do I have to link all these groups too ?

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 3:07am
You will want to link on all of the group fields "above" the group where you're placing the subreport.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version