Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Combining Bar Codes Post Reply Post New Topic
Kitty1

Online Status: Offline
Quote Kitty1 Replybullet Topic: Combining Bar Codes
    Posted: 15 May 2015 at 2:42am
Hi,

I am writing a report with bar codes in it. I have three separate fields. I would like to combine them all into one, but with something that works like an enter key in between each field, so that one bar code could be scanned instead of three separate ones. Does anyone know how this could be done??? I have been able to combine the 3 barcodes, but they come out on 3 separate lines and cannot be scanned as one.

IP IP Logged
Erik
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Erik Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:08am
Barcodes have Start and Stop characters so the scanner knows where beginning and end are.

I don't think it's possible for a scanner to beep more than once with a single trigger pull, and if that is true then you would also only want one Start and one Stop character per barcode. Otherwise the scanner could get confused with how to identify the barcode.

My first thought was to include your carraige returns (or tab potentially depending on what you are scanning into) in the actual barcode value instead of having Crystal do it for you, which would require an extended barcode font to interpret those types of characters, but this may also not be possible as my barcode font appears to place a Stop character if I use a tab or a carraige return.

Edited by Erik - 18 May 2015 at 7:12am
IP IP Logged
Kitty1

Quote Kitty1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:06am
Hi, and thanks for your reply!   I know it is possible to combine the barcodes in ACCESS into one field. one of my former co-workers did that. That's why I was curious if it could be done in Crystal. I have tried so many different things, i'm beginning to think it's impossible. Thanks again for your reply! :)
IP IP Logged
Erik
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Erik Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:52am
You should technically be able to put all 3 barcodes on a single line. Whether or not they will be scannable is another question.

A little more information would be helpful.

How are you getting the barcodes into your report initially? Are you using a local barcode font in a textbox within Crystal, or are they coming from a database value, or some other method?

Have you considered trying to concatenate them with a formula?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version