Page  of 2 Next >>
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Topic: Adding command bloats report
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:43pm
Hi,

I have a 6 tables all linked and the report works fine, TableA contains a Jobs1 field. When I add an additional table TableB which also has a Jobs1 field it bloats the report from 387 records up into the thousands.

How do I link the two tables so that I only get the Jobs results from TableB which are in TableA?

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:28am
is it a one to one relationship between A and B?
IP IP Logged
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:30am
Thanks for the reply - I think its one to many. For a bit of a newbie how do I confirm?

Looking at the tables TableA contains 1 job record per job where as TableB contains many job records per job.

Edited by shabbaranks - 24 Feb 2015 at 3:39am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:09am
it is a 1 to many then.
you might be able to deal with it by
a sub query in place of table B
a join condition on table B
updating the WHERE on the command to limit the data

It really depends on why you are joining in table B, what the content in table B is and id that content can be limited in scope before it is joined.
IP IP Logged
adavis

Quote adavis Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:43am
Like DBlank said, the reason you go from 387 to thousands is because you are returning a record for every instance where the jobs1 field is returned from table A and every instance where the jobs1 field is returned from table B.

You can confirm this by looking at the data. When you drop the fields you want to see from both table A and table B in the report, do you see multiple records where the same jobs1 field is listed?

If you simply want to reduce the number of records you are viewing, group on the jobs1 field (or whatever the unique ID field is). If you won't be missing data that is important, you can then place your desired information in the group header and suppress the details section.

IP IP Logged
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:46pm
Thanks guys Im almost there with this one. Ive got my results down from 3000 to 1410 but this is using a select expert.

Im now trying to extract a field called notes which relates to a job. Not all jobs have notes so in order to filter out the ones which don't have notes I have created a formula:

if isnull({Transaction_Detail.Notes}) then true
ELSE IF ({Transaction_Detail.Notes}) = " " then True
Else False

I then create a filter on this formula to only show false items. What Im trying to do now is link these two reports (not sure what the best way to go about it is - command or other?) and then on my original report show which notes correspond to the relevant jobs.

Apologies if Im not being very clear Im new to crystal reporting :)

IP IP Logged
adavis

Quote adavis Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:39am
What is the objective of separating the jobs that do have notes from the jobs that do not have notes?

If you simply want the jobs with notes grouped together and the jobs without notes grouped together, you can add a group to the report based on your formula field.
IP IP Logged
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:45am
Thanks for the reply, the reason for separating the jobs with notes against the ones with out the notes is because I am trying to limit the amount of duplicates (which kind of links to my original question).

My report as it stands shows the expected number of results. If I try and incorporate the notes from a separate table which links to the job I get thousands of results back (duplicates) which is what I am trying to avoid.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
adavis

Quote adavis Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:46am
If you group your data based on job#, it should help remove duplicate records. You may want to play with your join type to see if that helps. It could be you need a left or right outer join instead of an inner join.
IP IP Logged
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:51am
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help, I go from 386 records to 11000 and this is after Ive had a play with the joins to see if it resolves the issue :(
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version