Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Migrating reports where data structure has changed Post Reply Post New Topic
edbored

Online Status: Offline
Quote edbored Replybullet Topic: Migrating reports where data structure has changed
    Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:25pm
I have an issue in moving reports from CR7 to CR2014, and from the 1999 edition to the 2014 edition of a particular MRP software package (from Sybase ASE 10 to Sybase SQL Anywhere 11)

There are a dozen or so useful reports to be migrated.

To upgrade, we're copying a 1999 report to a new folder, and opening it with CR2014. The migrated report works just fine against the old data.

There's a wizard whereby one points the entire report to a new database by updating the ODBC DSN.

In general, that works just fine too.

Where it breaks down is when a field has moved to a new table.

That is, in one particular report, there's a field used in a Group By (the break for a report band) that has moved:

item.product_sub_group is now found in item_division.product_sub_group

When you change the DSN, CR2014 can't find a field called "product_sub_group" in the item table, and so DELETES the group by - AND deletes all the fields in that summary band!

So, I'm looking for a way to tell CR2014 where to go and find the missing data before it blows everything away in the wizard.

If there was some way for me to edit the SQL before the wizard started trying to verify the database, it would take me a few minutes to resolve this.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Cheers,
EdB
IP IP Logged
z9962

Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:39pm
You could create a view on the db first and point to this?

when updating a table you cannot split it across multiple tables.

Other option is to recreate the group.
IP IP Logged
edbored

Quote edbored Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 5:27pm
I don't have dba access to the database - and the vendor becomes rather displeased when anyone manipulates "their" system.

I thought I might just take a copy of the entire database, and reintroduce the "missing" fields to the original table - load the report, point the data to my temp copy,  add the new location to the field list and correct, then point the data to the 'live' database.

But, in the end I just let the wizard break everything, and rebuilt the report.

PITA, but probably shorter in the end.

Thanks!

EdB
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version