Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Formular Post Reply Post New Topic
figgy

Online Status: Offline
Quote figgy Replybullet Topic: Formular
    Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 6:02am
I have a report that is supposed to tell me at what stage a part is.  For example:  If the material is not in it shows the material if all the material is marked C then it shows the department it is in.  It seems to be working except if all the material is marked C then at a later date someone adds more material it is not changing it back to the material it is only showing the department.  My formula reads: 
IF ({Material_Req.Status}="C")then {Job_ttx.Job}else {Material_Req.Material}
If a new material is added after all the other material was received it shows the status as "O" on that new material so why wont it reset the report to the material not the department?
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 8:00am
is all of this being captured / managed on one line of data or are there multiple lines of data for one 'part'?

Edited by DBlank - 21 Nov 2014 at 8:00am
IP IP Logged
figgy

Quote figgy Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:51am
Yes, all the data is being reported in the group header.  When I had it on the detail line, my report showed the same information listed multiple times. 
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 4:08am
Your data is being captured in multipel rows.
Your formula only evaluates on one row at a time.
Placing it in a group header menas it is only evauating for the first row in the group.
You will need to figure out how tio either sequentially read the data to get a result in the group footer using shared variables or using a max or min value in the group to show the result you want.
IP IP Logged
figgy

Quote figgy Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 4:20am
I thought I would need a shared variable, I will have to try to figure it out.  Not sure how to use a max min value.  Thanks for your help!
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:09am
Put together a group with all of the rows and look at the values that you need to interpret to get a final result.
can you order it by a set sequence to make sure they are read in the proper order (e.g a datetime stamp)?
Is it only about the value of field Y on the last record in the group?
If you run into trouble, post sample row data (not group header data) explaining how you need to have it end up and the rules as they exist against that sample data some one may be able to assist in a formula to do that.
IP IP Logged
figgy

Quote figgy Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:18am
In this particular report I have information only in the page header section, group header section and totals in the report footer section.  I'm not sure if this was a good solution, but I moved all the data from the group header to the group footer and it seems to work.  Will this cause other problems?
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:40am

likely. When you place a row based formula or a field in a Footer it only executes on the last row in the group. It does not sumamrize anything or check across rows within the group.

just because you hide a field or a detail section does not mean the data is not still part of the report and being read as such. 
Your report header and footer still summarize all off the data
IP IP Logged
figgy

Quote figgy Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 6:41am
I was trying to figure a way to avoid using a shared variable as I am not good at those.  My report works perfectly other than that field.  When I put the field in the footer it gives me the correct answer, but I am not sure how to take that answer and move it to the header.
IP IP Logged
figgy

Quote figgy Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:38am
I think I finally got it.  Since there is only 2 possible answers:  material or department and material is usually listed first.  I used my original formula then added a max statement that says if material is max then list it else use the original formula.  Seems to be working.  
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version