Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: How do I do this? Post Reply Post New Topic
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote nix1016 Replybullet Topic: How do I do this?
    Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 5:02am
I need to create a report where I have to show a list of customers who do not have invoices.

The invoice table links the customer table using an unique customerNo field, i.e. {invoice.customerNo} -> {customer.customerNo}. In the report I just need to show a simple list of Customer records where it cannot find an Invoice record with a matching customerNo. How would I go about doing this? I assume that I would simply add the 2 tables in to the report and not have them linked. Then I need to somehow suppress customer records where finds an invoice record but I'm not sure how to execute that part... or is there something that I would put in the select expert instead?
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 5:25am
you have to outer join the two tables on customer id, selecting all records from the customer table and then do a select statment using
isnull({invoice.customerNo})

Edited by DBlank - 04 Apr 2014 at 5:25am
IP IP Logged
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nix1016 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:09am
I tried doing this but as soon as I put that select statement in it does not display anything in my report.

I have {customer.customerNo} joined to {invoice.customerNo} via left outer and only isnull({invoice.customerNo}) in my select statement nothing else.

Edited by nix1016 - 04 Apr 2014 at 6:10am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:11am
are you displaying the customer.CustomerNo?
IP IP Logged
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nix1016 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:29am
No, I'm displaying Customer.CustomerName because the CustomerNo is just an internal ID that does not make sense. Tried changing to display Customer.CustomerNo but that doesn't make a difference either... and before you ask... there are definitely customers without invoices in the system

Edited by nix1016 - 04 Apr 2014 at 6:32am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:40am
do you have any other tables in the report?

Remove your select statement and place the name fom customer beside the id fom invoice and see if youa re gettin ght expected data set (all client records regardless of matching to invoice records).
IP IP Logged
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nix1016 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 7:21am
No, just have Customer & Invoice tables. I found out what the problem was, there was something else in the select statement but for some reason it didn't show up in the select expert unless if I went into the formula editor!!

Thanks for your help!

Edited by nix1016 - 04 Apr 2014 at 7:22am
IP IP Logged
nix1016
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nix1016 Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:46am
The only other thing with this report is that I need to add filters for invoice dates so that the report returns customers who have not had any invoices between those date filters. There are other filters for customer type, status etc but are all filtered against the customer table.

This is what I have the select expert: (isnull({invoice.invoiceNo}) or ({invoice.invoiceDate} < {?fromdate} or {invoice.invoiceDate} > {?todate})) and {customer.customerType} = 'New' and {customer.customerStatus} = 'Active'

Essentially I'm trying to get the report to return customers without any invoices at all or customers with invoices that do not fall between the time frame that I'm filtering for. This seems to work fine for customers without invoices but for those that have multiple invoices with some that fall within the {?fromdate} to {?todate} period, the report will pick up earlier invoices from these customers and therefore still show them on the report. How do I get them to not show up on the report at all?
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 7:23am
consider using a group condition
create a flag formula to sum against

if isnull(invoice.invoiceDate then 0 else
if invoice.invoiceDate between ?todate and ?fromdate then 1 else 0

group on customer
sum the flag at the customer level
anything with a sum>0 has a record and you can exlcude that at the group level
SUM(flag,customer)=0