Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: CR8 Not Fully Loading (Win7-64bit) Post Reply Post New Topic
CaptnTony

Online Status: Offline
Quote CaptnTony Replybullet Topic: CR8 Not Fully Loading (Win7-64bit)
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 6:58am
I've recently run into an issue just simply starting CR8 on my computer.  The problem occurs whether I launch it from the menu (Windows 7 64 bit) or by dbl clicking a report.  This is a new occurrence for me, I've been using this product, in the current configuration, on this laptop for 5 months without any problems.  I can't say exactly when this began as I haven't had to use it for about 3 weeks before yesterday.  Yesterday and today I cannot get the program to even complete loading.

It will display the splash screen and then display the opening window. But at that point the cursor just shows it's busy and nothing can be done with the program. I cannot click any of the menu items, cannot minimize the window, nor can I close it with the "X".  I have let it run for upwards of 45 minutes and nothing changes.  I have to kill the process in task manager to end the program.  I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, to the same end.

Any ideas what I might be running into?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas/help.  I appreciate them.

Todd
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 5:13am
Have you tried running CR in Win XP Compatibility mode to see whether that makes a difference?

To do this:
1. Open Explorer and navigate to the folder where Crystal is installed. 

2. Right-click on crw.exe and go to Properties.

3.  Go to the Compatibility tab and turn on "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" from the drop-down.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
CaptnTony

Quote CaptnTony Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 9:03am
Will try that.  Though, CR 2008 WAS loading and working just fine.  Nothing has been altered on this PC (other than 2 windows 7 updates being downloaded/installed over the past week or two).

Thanks.  I'll let you know.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 9:31am
Ahh!  You said CR8 in your original post - not CR2008 - they're two completely different versions of the software. 

Take a look at this post: http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17583&KW=2008 for info about a registry setting you can change that should help.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
CaptnTony

Quote CaptnTony Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 9:41am
After a fresh uninstall / install, it still did not work after setting up compatibility mode (even for all users) for Windows XP SP3.

Is it trying to verify that I have a license each time it starts up (even though it accepted the license I enter during the install)?

I had a temporary review copy of the newest CR installed and have long ago uninstalled that software from this machine.  Might there be pieces of that  'getting in the way'?  Again, this worked for about 3 months after the uninstall of that version of software, so I'm wouldn't think it'd come up this late to bite me.  I think the review license key expired about 2 or 3 months ago (not sure if I uninstalled it before of after the temporary key had expired).

Again, thanks for any ideas.

Todd
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 9:59am
The review copy shouldn't have anything to do with this - I usually have 2 or 3 versions of Crystal installed side-by-side with no problems.  Follow the link I posted above - there is a registry setting you can try changing that seems to have worked for others.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
CaptnTony

Quote CaptnTony Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 7:45am
Found this (for anyone looking in the future) and will be trying now:

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q207355&sliceId=

When running an MSI containing the FLEXnet Connect merge modules (versions 6.0 to 11.6) you may encounter certain installation problems. In particular you may see the following error:

"Error 2753.The File 'agent.exe.6ED28686_7B19_420C_B255_5B6C1BD2C705' is not marked for installation."

Is the error I'm getting while reinstalling this the last few times over the weekend.

IP IP Logged
CaptnTony

Quote CaptnTony Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 10:09am
Those instructions did not work for me.  Tried four or five times.

Finally got frustrated enough to upgrade my license to the newest version (2011 I believe).  Installed without a glitch (no more Error 2753).  Yet the EXACT same issue persists.

I think it's time to bend someone's ear at SAP.  If I get a solution, I'll post it up here so others might save some time - a week and 4 reports on the burner is far, far, too long in my book.  Especially since it's been working fine right up until about a week ago (thinking M$ updates somehow related -- just a gut feeling though).
IP IP Logged
CaptnTony

Quote CaptnTony Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:47am
Update:

Still haven't heard back from SAP (that's not a surprise as I had to get on their Facebook page and complain 'publicly' last time I wanted a response).

BUT!  I did gain some patience and let the software try to load over night.  When I got into the office this morning, it was up and functioning normally!  All the menus worked, I could load/save reports, view report outputs, and actually create reports.  To see if it 'fixed' things I quit it right away and tried to load it again.  Again, the same issue.  I left it alone for a couple hours while I did other things and when I got back into the office it was once again loaded and ready to use!

So, it's not a 'fatal' error.  It's got to be something it's doing and just taking WAY, WAY, WAY longer than it did previously (before M$ updates messed something up possibly).  For now, I can at least get it loaded than then keep it loaded while I work through the backlog.  Not a solution, but maybe it will help someone in the future.

Todd
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version