Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: ReportDocument.Load is too slow on server Post Reply Post New Topic
Andy in Mn

Online Status: Offline
Quote Andy in Mn Replybullet Topic: ReportDocument.Load is too slow on server
    Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 5:55am
Hi All,

This is .net VS2005, CRXIR2

I am developing several reports.  They all load slowly on the production machine where the web application is run (about 15 seconds).  The weird thing is that they all load much faster on my devel laptop (less than a second).  I tracked down the problem to the load of the requested report

crReport.Load ( pathToReportAndReportName );

This load-operation takes 1 second on my development machine and about 20 seconds on the production server.  Both machines are 2 gigaH speed but the server has 4 processors.  Both are using the same oracle database.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 12:24pm
Hi Andy in Mn,

I'm not sure that you're having the same problem that I have from time to time, but...

If I'm working directly on my PC (CR App & CR template), then things go very quickly.  However, when the CR template(report) is on a file server, it can take quite a long while to load, depending on the 'bandwidth' of the line and the volume of 'traffic' on it.  In my case it's a T1, but the server is several states away and the T1 is used by everything and everybody.

If your server and applications are all 'local' then this is probably not what's happening with you.

Good luck,
-jrw
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 2:26pm
Are the .rpt files located on the server?  Or are they on a network share someplace?  That will affect the load times.

Another thing that happens is that the first report to be loaded within a timeframe will take longer because the Crystal assemblies also have to load into memory.  Subsequent report will load faster.  However, if there's not report activity within a timeframe (I'm not sure how long it takes before assemblies are unloaded due to inactivity...) then the assemblies are unloaded from memory and have to be reloaded the next time a report is loaded.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version