Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Edit field source in data link Post Reply Post New Topic
KeithL

Online Status: Offline
Quote KeithL Replybullet Topic: Edit field source in data link
    Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 2:03pm
I have a simple report template that I would like to use for dozens of reports on existing databases.  I created and tested the first report successfully and now I want to created the 80 or so copies which use different databases and/or fields.

Is there any way to select a field data link on the report and change the field to which it is linked?  Is there a way to do this globally?

e.g. say I have 80 sites each with a customers table.  How do I change from database "Ohio", field "customer_name" to database "Oregon" field "customer_name" or, worse database "California" field "cust_name" (note fields sometimes have different names.

TIA
Keith
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 3:17pm
I personally don't know of a quick way to do this. If you know how to program you can write an application that changes the database behind the scenes prior to the report loading. Otherwise you have to make 80 copies of the report and do a "Change Data Connection" for each one. CR automatically switches the fields names over and if a field name doesn't match with the new database then it lets you tell it which field to replace it with.
IP IP Logged
KeithL

Quote KeithL Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 7:59pm
Change data connection?  I don't think I've found this particular menu item.  Where is it?  Also, is it in 8.5 (which is what I'm actually using)?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 11:51pm
Yes it's in 8.5. I have no idea which menu item to use in 8.5, but in XI you would do the following:
From the menu, choose Database | Set Datasource Location. Click on the database (or individual table) you want to replace and in the other window find the database (or table) to replace it with. Then click the Update button.

Hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version