Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Report Viewer Issue Post Reply Post New Topic
abhi81

Online Status: Offline
Quote abhi81 Replybullet Topic: Crystal Report Viewer Issue
    Posted: 25 Jan 2007 at 12:03pm
Hello,
I developed asp.net application,created the report in designer and added it to the .net project. And am useing asp page to fire the crystal report(Crystal Report version 11). For deployment i used copy project from the vs.net ide.

I then moved the contents to the production server. I knew the problem with the viewer would happen so i installed crystal reports on the production server and it works fine on there.

But if i try to view a report from some other computer where crystal report is not installed i get a blank grey screen. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done so that the report is rendered correctly from the server to the client computers when the report is requested.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2007 at 12:28pm
Hmmm. I would like to hear what others have to say about this. I've seen problems with exporting to PDF and then the computer hangs b/c the client computer doesn't have Acrobat installed. I've also seen that damn Acrobat program lock up a computer b/c it pops up the window "Upgrage to 7.0 now" and it won't run the report till you click on Ok or Cancel. This is very frustrating to have that stupid dialog box prevent your reports from printing. But you didn't mention problems printing Crystal Reports with Adobe PDFs.

I'm glad you installed CR on the production server, that will prevent a lot of potential problems. What confuses me about your question is that the client computer NEVER needs crystal installed on it b/c Crystal Reports outputs the report in HTML (and some DHTML), so all you need is a standard browser to display the report. Is there some type of strange setting in your browsers?

Oh yeah, maybe another problem is security on the server. You have to make sure anonymous access has full permission to hit the server. Maybe there is something missing there that doesn't let Crystal output the report to an external connection?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
abhi81

Quote abhi81 Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2007 at 1:14pm
Thanks for ur quick  response. What u  say is partially correct bcos if u look at the code for smartvieweractivex.asp ,it is rendered as html but on that html part in the body tag there is an instance of the crviewer object.
IP IP Logged
abhi81

Quote abhi81 Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2007 at 1:52pm
The above problem was solved. What needs to be done is as follows:
1)Copy the entire crystalviewer11  folder(that also has the activexviewer.cab file) and place it along with the other files for the application .
2)Then open up the smartvieweractivex.asp file and reference the activexviewer.cab file in the crystalviewer11 folder in the application folder.
3)When a report is requested by the client browser it asks u if u want to install the activex component required to display the page. Once you say yes to it the component is installed and report is rendered correctly.

And that's it ur done.Smile
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2007 at 5:05pm
Great follow up. Thanks! I'll make a note of that for future reference.  Star

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version