Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: "This field name is not known" Post Reply Post New Topic
Hammerklavier

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hammerklavier Replybullet Topic: "This field name is not known"
    Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 10:54am
We're running into an issue with the Crystal Report Windows Forms Viewer in a 3rd party piece of software.

When I try to run my report, it fails with the following error message:

This field name is not known.
Details: errorKind
Error in File MyReport
Error in formula MyFormula
'{MyDataSource.MyField}
This field name is not known.
Details: errorKind

If I create a formula in one of my subreports that returns one of the fields, it creates this failure.  Within Crystal Reports XI, I don't see this error; only in the 3rd party software.

Yes, it's possible the 3rd party software might be at fault, but I'm suspecting they're not.  I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this before and can offer a possible general explanation as to where an error like this might come from?  A little more information if it helps:

1. I'm using a stored procedure as the data source.

2. The stored procedure contains all of these fields (if it didn't, I'm sure I'd be seeing the same failure in Crystal Reports XI, but I did check anyway).

3. Originally, the report worked fine in the 3rd party software; it only started failing once I changed the data source (the original source might have had a few slight differences in terms of what fields it had, but anything being used in my report is contained in both stored procedures).  both the original and the new stored procedure are the same type: ODBC (RDO). 

I greatly appreciate any help on this.

Thank you.
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 1:48am
Have you tried remapping the Tables?
IP IP Logged
Hammerklavier

Quote Hammerklavier Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:55am
I will note that one complication with the troubleshooting process is that I'm not sure what the original stored procedure is.  When I view the properties for the original stored procedure, the listed database is one that no longer exists.  Yet, the report still works fine in the 3rd party software (not sure if it works in Crystal, since we don't know the credentials for this data source, which explains why I'm trying to replace it). 
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:44pm
In that case your best bet may be starting from scratch and build a new report.You may get by with replacing the name of the DB in your store procedure and re-pointing the report to the new source.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version