Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports Books and Crystal Reports 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
mdbriggs

Online Status: Offline
Quote mdbriggs Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports Books and Crystal Reports 2010
    Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 6:44am
I have been away from CR for a while and I now find myself on another project which requires me to develop CR's once again. This time the CR report(s) will be quite complicated and require some API calls to retrieve information from the registry to display on the report(s).

From my previous stint with CR I have in my possession the following books:
Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Volume 1: Professional XI Reports
Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Volume 2: .NET 2005/2008

My questions are:
1. Will either of the aforementioned books be applicable for use with CR 2010? In particular Volume 2, which has a section in it that deals with programming the reports for run-time customization

2. If not, is there a book that can be recommended as a resource?

Thanks
Marlon
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 7:57am
Most of what's in both books should be applicable to CR 10.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
mdbriggs

Quote mdbriggs Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 9:55am
Thanks for the quick response. It was helpful.

Just another quick question. Is Brian coming out with another book called:
Crystal Reports Encyclopedia 2008/2011?

I saw a listing on Amazon's website and I just wanted to verify if that is in fact the case.

Marlon
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:29pm
Hi Marlon,

Thanks for your interest in my books. Re the existing books, if you're intested in Volume 2 b/c you're writing software, this book is focused on VS.NET only (not Java, PHP, etc.). If you're a .NET programmer, then it goes into extensive detail on writing apps and giving code samples for doing runtime customization.

Volume 1 for CR XI is fine for CR 2010. There are only small differences between the versions. The main tasks of creating and maintaining reports is the same.

The update for CR 2008/2011 should be out by the end of this year. I'm finishing a HUGE project right now for a client and have to get this done before I can start work on updating the book for the latest CR version.

Brian

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
mdbriggs

Quote mdbriggs Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 8:41am
I apologize for not responding to this sooner than now. I thought I had it setup to get an email notification once somebody responded to something that I posted.

Thanks Brian for not your repsonse and for doing such a great job on your CR books. They've been very helpful.

Marlon
IP IP Logged
RobC

Quote RobC Replybullet Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 5:36pm
If there are not many differences between VS2008 and VS2010, why don't I see references for CrystalDecisions.Shared and CrystalDecisions. CrystalReports.Engine etc. ?

I thought I downloaded the fix from SAP....

Where can I download these ?  

Thanks !
IP IP Logged
mdbriggs

Quote mdbriggs Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:59am
To get those assemblies to show up under the references you need to do the following:
1. Go to the Project menu
2. Select the [ProjectName] Properties, which will open the Project Properties
    window
3. Select the Application tab
4. Change the Target Framework from .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to .NET
    Framework 4
IP IP Logged
billev

Quote billev Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 3:58pm
Hi Brian,

I intermittenly program in Visual Basic.net 2005.  We will upgrade to 2011 as soon as it comes out. I have your Book 'Cryatal Reports .Net Programming and it's the reason I use Crystal now.

Since VS no longer incorporates Crystal in VS.net, have you, or do you intend to update your .net programming book?

Here's hoping.

thanks,

Bill
Thanks,

Bill V
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:36pm
Hi Bill,

I'm glad you like the books! Unfortunately, once MS released SSRS and stopped carrying CR in VS, the sales of my CR.NET books plummeted. I have many hundreds of books sitting in a warehouse right now gathering dust. So I won't be writing about CR.NET anymore.   

Brian
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:38pm
Oh - I see that you have the first edition of my book (CR.NET 2003 Programming) that came out. I did update it it CR.NET 2008. So this will have new code examples that might prove helpful.

Brian
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version