Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: linking tables in crystal..please help Post Reply Post New Topic
sinnedam

Online Status: Offline
Quote sinnedam Replybullet Topic: linking tables in crystal..please help
    Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 1:20pm
Okay, i am completely new to Crystal and am trying to understand table linking. I understand that their may be common data in two separate tables, and its better to link the field in the table than enter that data twice in two separate tables. I dont understand what this has to do with reporting though. If i want to include 2 fields from 2 separate tables on my report why do i have to create the links in Crystal?

Thanks

Edited by sinnedam - 07 Jul 2010 at 1:20pm
IP IP Logged
Emir_W

Quote Emir_W Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 11:51pm
in this case you need to know/learn bout JOIN between two or more tables.

then you'll understand.

because CR only create and preview the result for reporting.
and we can create/modify as our needed.

hope it help.

Emir W
IP IP Logged
sinnedam

Quote sinnedam Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 3:41pm
thanks for your link. Like i said..i understand why you need to link tables together..i just dont understand why you have to do it to create a crystal report.

For instance

If i have a patient table that has a patient name field, and i have a patient medications table, i can link the tables using patient name so as to not repeat data, but if i want to build a report that shows all patients names and medications...why do i have to link it? Sorry, i'm sure its something simple im not getting...Confused
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:33pm

linking the tables creates something akin to unified rows of data as if you took the 2 tables and mashed them together to create a third table. The field(s) you link on mashes them together ion a specific and organized way.

You are thinking that crystal inherently knows that since both tables have a pateint ID it is clear that these meds go with this patient. That is not true. Crystal does not 'know' this.
Without linking the tables just mash together in any old way and your medications for pateint 1 can end up with the name of patient 100.
Does that help? 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version