Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Would love some advice Post Reply Post New Topic
jkochelek

Online Status: Offline
Quote jkochelek Replybullet Topic: Would love some advice
    Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 6:44am
I don't have any programming experience, but have been using Crystal XI for about a year now.  I have used a couple of books, including the one on this site, along with accessing the help files every five minutes to learn quite a bit.  I have been able to produce a variety of reports for the small business for which I work.
I am interested in learning programming to create some custom apps for my office, but I feel fairly lost on which direction I should go.  My company uses MAS 200 and I would love to make an app that would be able to access and update the data files.
I have thought about looking into VB.net, but am not sure.  If this works out, and I think it will, I would love to learn more languages (like the big deal ones).
I would really appreciate any advice on which language to look into for this.  Also, some book recommendations would be really appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Josh Kochelek
jkochelek@gmail.com
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 9:49am
I agree that learning VB.NET is a good way to get started to developing applications. Learning a new language can be tough though if you don't have any programming experience. My book, Programming CR.NET, requires that you are already familiar with programming before reading it. So I don't recommend it until later. A book I've heard good things about is the Dietel series. They have a book on every language out there and people give it rave reviews. It is VERY thick, but it really gets into the details of walking you through programming step by step. If you don't have time to read that much material, then on of the "In 21 Days" books will give you a quick start (but not as complete as the Deitel books.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
jkochelek

Quote jkochelek Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 11:29am
Thanks for the advice, Brian.  I actually got the same advice elsewhere, so it won't be a hard choice for me. 
Thanks again!
Josh Kochelek
E-mail Me
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version