Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Printer Setup Post Reply Post New Topic
MikeC

Online Status: Offline
Quote MikeC Replybullet Topic: Printer Setup
    Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 4:38am
I had an odd issue with printer selection in Crystal Reports 11.

I created a report, and on my workstation I have an HP 4250 that is my default Windows printer.  I normally don't do anything special for printer setup when I create a report, I just assume it will use the default printer on the client workstation.

The report is distributed to the clients and run via the Crystal runtime installed with the financial software on their respective workstations.

On a few client workstations that happened to have an HP 4250 (named the same as mine), the report would default to the HP 4250, even though the HP 4250 was not the default printer in Windows.

Going into the Page Setup dialogue box and checking No Printer (optimize for screen display) corrected the issue, and the reports now default to the correct Windows printer as they should.

My question-is it by design that a report created in Crystal carries the default printer information from my workstation with it, and is checking the No Printer setting in the dialogue box the correct way to change it?  Or is there a better way to make sure the report always uses the default Windows printer on the client workstation rather than the default information from the workstation it was developed on.

Thank you.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 5:28am
From my experience CR always uses the default printer on the client's machine (I think they call this a feature).  But I believe you have the correct 'fix' to this issue.
IP IP Logged
MikeC

Quote MikeC Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 6:52am
Originally posted by kevlray

From my experience CR always uses the default printer on the client's machine (I think they call this a feature).  But I believe you have the correct 'fix' to this issue.

That's what I always thought too, which is why I was surprised when I found out that it didn't if the printer was named the same.

I did find some information at the link below-it's the Visual Studio Developer Center.  It pretty much describes what I've had happen.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms225523.aspx

IP IP Logged
Yudi

Quote Yudi Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:04am

Hi MikeC

I had experienced the same thing as you. Now, the way i use is by selecting the default printer programatically in VB6 (including defining other settings such as papersize, margin or printing orientation)

i have wrote some articles about printing setup w/ crystal report in my blog
Thanks And Regards
Yudi Purwanto
http://yudio.net/
IP IP Logged
sakthimurugan87

Quote sakthimurugan87 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:07am

do you have idea of printing records in crystal report viewer in the following manner

Record 1    |       Record 2
                              |
            Record 3    |       Record 4
                              |
            Record 5    |       Record 6

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version