Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Grouping by Date Post Reply Post New Topic
Erinmichelle

Online Status: Offline
Quote Erinmichelle Replybullet Topic: Grouping by Date
    Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 9:49am
Please help!

Background:
The database that I am working with is very poorly designed.  It is an Access table that records the filling of drugs from an automatic machine - however, if 500 Tylenol are filled on 3/2 at 9am, there will be 500 identical lines recorded in the database, rather than just one line with a column that says "500 filled."  Because of this, when I am trying to write a report, I have to group the report by date and then time in order to show the total of that particular fill.

Problem:
When I group by date, it groups randomly.  For example, the group header will say 12/30 but then it will capture a few days worth, and then the next one will say like 1/6 and that will capture a few days worth.  I tried to change it so the group was a formula -
              totext(datevalue({date_filled}))
and then that showed all of the correct group headings but of course then the dates don't sort completely chronologically.  The real kicker is that if i then change it BACK to just sorting by the date, then it sorts correctly AND groups correctly.  However, when I close Crystal and then open the report back up, it goes back to the same problem where the group header is capturing a few days worth of data.

Any ideas???
Thanks!

Erin
IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI

Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 10:10am
Click on your group expert and under Group By: highligh the date group. Click Options...Look at the This section will be printed drop-down box and make sure it is set as 'for each day.' and not 'for each week.'

That would be the first thing I would check. If that's not it, then there is something else going on and someone else may have to help.
IP IP Logged
Erinmichelle

Quote Erinmichelle Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 12:27pm
That worked! Thank you so much! That little trick will definitely come in handy in the future.
Thanks!

Erin
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version