Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Suppressed section appearing as blank line in CSV Post Reply Post New Topic
Freek

Online Status: Offline
Quote Freek Replybullet Topic: Suppressed section appearing as blank line in CSV
    Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 5:47am
I have a report in which the details section is suppressed by the checkbox in the section expert, and the group header is suppressed by a conditional formula. In the preview this works fine.

However, when i output it to CSV, both from CR 2008 and from the CR Server 2008, the group headers that should be suppressed appear as blank lines.

I also checked "suppress when blank" in the section expert but that makes no difference.

I tried every possible combination of the CSV exporting options, but none get rid of the blank lines.

The settings that should work are:
Delimiter: <none>
Separator: ;
Mode: standard
Report and Page sections: "Do not export"
Group sections: "Export", "Isolate group sections" checked.

Anyone got any ideas if i'm missing something or if this is really a bug in CSV exporting?

Edited by Freek - 03 Feb 2010 at 5:47am
IP IP Logged
Freek

Quote Freek Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:14am
Minor update: i've tried putting the condition used to suppress the entire section on each of the text objects within the section so the "suppress blank section" function might take effect. It doesn't. :(
IP IP Logged
sgtjim

Quote sgtjim Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 4:57am
I am also have the same issue and have yet to find a solution. Found a forum that SAP is basically stating that this is design choice and there is not much that can be done.

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1812278

I hope I can find a solution or someone else does as I need one to get a report done for a customer.
IP IP Logged
Freek

Quote Freek Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 5:02am
I'm curious about CR2k11 which has recently been released. Any idea yet how well (or lack thereof) CSV is supported in the new version?
IP IP Logged
sgtjim

Quote sgtjim Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 5:23am

I don't know about any new releases, although I am curios too. I am currently using CR2008 version 12.1.0.892.

But I may a found a work around for this issue.

If I "Export to Text" and adjust the "Characters per inch", (for my file it was 18) and set the "Number of lines per page" to 0, then the blank lines are gone!

I hope that this file type can be acceptable to the customer for the data exchange.

update:

They don't except .txt files. Using Business Objects, found a solution. Scheduled the report as a .txt file type, but in the destination 'window' under file name, I hard coded a .csv to the end of the file name. This exported the file without the blank lines and it was still a .csv.

Hope this helps someone. This forum has helped me a lot.

Edited by sgtjim - 23 Aug 2011 at 6:40am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version