Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Repeat Group Header On Each Page problem Post Reply Post New Topic
mcohen

Online Status: Offline
Quote mcohen Replybullet Topic: Repeat Group Header On Each Page problem
    Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 12:03pm
I have a group header and footer for one of my groups.  I have 'Repeat Group Header On Each Page' checked.  This works EXCEPT when the group header and detail all fit on one page and the only part of the group that remains to be printed on the next page is the group footer.  In this case the report displays an orphan footer, i.e. with no group header.
How can I get the group header to repeat on the next page above the group footer?
Note:  Checking 'Keep Group Together' is not an option because it wastes way too many pages.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 3:05pm
I don't think that you can.  Once it drops to the footer section, it sounds like Crystal believes it is done and doesn't need to repeat the header.

The only idea that comes to mind is to count the lines printed, but I have a feeling that the same issue can occur. You would probably need a count of the records and the lines.  If you are 1 record from the end of the group, and at the bottom of the page, then force a page break, if there are more records, let Crystal do the formatting.  It might look odd, but it will waste alot less paper...but it will be harder to code.

HTH
IP IP Logged
mcohen

Quote mcohen Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 9:53am
Thanks for your reply - it's helpful to know that I'm not missing something obvious.  Rather than trying to count records and lines, I think we'll accept the occasional orphan footer! 
IP IP Logged
RonK

Quote RonK Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:59am

I face the same problem. I have an idea which might solve our problem. I’m all most there, maybe with your help with can solve it together.

I have created an extra group footer section. I have moved it to the top of the group footer, so it became GF #1a. Then I copied the contents of my group header #1a to this GF #1a. Finally I have conditionally suppress GF #1a with: not InRepeatedGroupHeader.

But unfortunately the section does not show in case GF1 flows to the next page. I was hoping to be able to fix that with a test on page number, combined with a page number reset in the header. But so far that did not give me the correct result either …

Any idea’s to solve this puzzle?

Edited by RonK - 08 Oct 2009 at 7:47am
IP IP Logged
mcohen

Quote mcohen Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 10:54am
Ron, thanks so much for posting this link to the solution on the SAP forum!  Will try it as soon as I have a chance.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version