Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Problem with OLE DB ado embedded reports Post Reply Post New Topic
MVSdinosaur

Online Status: Offline
Quote MVSdinosaur Replybullet Topic: Problem with OLE DB ado embedded reports
    Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 11:14am
I'll try to explain this as best I can and hope someone can point me in the right direction:

We created a deployment using VS 2005 and Crystal XI R2 with embedded Crystal Reports.

I moved this deployment to another server (SERVER 'B'). On this remote server, SQL server 2005 is installed.

There is NO Crystal Reports designer installed.

I installed runtime

Crystal Reports XI Release 2 .NET 2005 Server
and

Crystal Reports for .NET framework (x86)
The reports run FINE on Server B. No problemo. The embedded reports are using the OLD DB ado connection. Connection string is pulled from the registry settings.

Then, Crystal Reports XI Release 2 .NET 2005 Server
and Crystal Reports for .NET framework (x86) were installed on production server (SERVER 'A').
HOWEVER, when we move the deployment to the production server (SERVER 'A'), and try to run the embedded reports against the SQL Server on SERVER 'B', we get an "Unknown database" error message. If I take a look at the temp report that Crystal generates, and look at the datasource info, there is no methods located under the OLE DB ADO option. The connection string in the registry is set correctly. Additionally, stand alone Crystal Reports on SERVER A are able to run against SERVER B. These use an ODBC connection.

Is there something 'extra' I need to do to ensure that OLE methods are packaged in the deployment? It seems to me that if this is working correctly on SERVER B, it should also work on SERVER A, especially since the stand alones work ok. A and B are on the same network.

Is it possible that the Crystal Reports XI Release 2 .NET 2005 Server may not have been installed correctly? I ask this as I do not know if the OLE DB methods are packaged with the deployment itself, or are pulled from the .NET server.

I am at a loss as why this is not working. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version