Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Referencing strongly-typed reports Post Reply Post New Topic
terry hutt

Online Status: Offline
Quote terry hutt Replybullet Topic: Referencing strongly-typed reports
    Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:27am

I have added my crystal report (EmployeeList.rpt) to my ASP.NET project (VS2005 bundled CR) and I'm assured by the book and everything else on the Net that I can now write code such as

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = New EmployeeList
Only problem is that EmployeeList is not a valid class. I walked through the creation of the report in Chapter 1 and I don't think I missed any steps except that I don't have a ReportDocument component so I specified the report for the viewer via the viewer's smart tag.

Is there some property I've missed setting? I can't find anything.

I've searched the Net and I can't find anyone else having this problem so I'm probably being dumb as a brick but even bricks need help sometimes.

If anyone can make any suggestions on what I should check I'd be very happy.

Thanks
Terry Hutt
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 11:04am
Hi Terry,

Unfortunately, BOBJ removed strongly-typed reports from the ASP.NET projects. So for VS 2005 this only works for Windows based reports. For ASP.NET 2005 you have to use the ReportDocument.Load() event to open a report.

Brian
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
terry hutt

Quote terry hutt Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 11:39am

Grrr. 

Reckon we need to release a new edition of all Crystal Reports documentation and books every year to keep up with these jokers.

Thanks for the response.

Terry

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 12:48pm
Well, that's what I'm working on now! 
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
terry hutt

Quote terry hutt Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 12:55pm

Sweet - how can I get notified when the book is available for purchase?

By the way, you need an editor who understands the difference between insure and ensure, affect and effect. I'm a Brit. who has been known to edit technical books in the past (but I have the advantage over most Brits that I know how the spell color!).

Let me know if I can help with the proof-reading.

Thanks

Terry Hutt

Edited by terry hutt - 23 Apr 2007 at 1:16pm
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 3:00pm
Ahhh! When you commented on "insure", I thought Wait a minute....

After reading your Amazon review I actually looked up the definition of "insure" vs "ensure". I didn't know that insure isn't used in this manner (it's actually correct usage, but no longer commonly used by anyone). In fact, I still get confused about the differences between "effect" and "affect". I'm sure that I screwed that up in a few places as well. But it costs thousands of dollars to hire proof readers and I'm just crossing my fingers that I pay for the printing costs. So I gotta watch my budget and and still try to do the best I can (hence getting friends and family to help with proof-reading).

I'm actually surprised you had so much trouble using the book for VS2005. Although I wrote it for VS 2003 (three years ago), people email me and tell me that it still works for them on VS 2005. I haven't gone through it yet to find the differences, but so far I've had good comments from people. I'm on the last chapter of my XI book, and then I"ll start dig ging into the details VS 2005 and making the updates. Lots of work ahead!

Re being notified when the new edition will be available, I'll be using this forum's registration list to send out updates. Plus, I always post some free chapters online for people to read who don't want to buy the book. Of course, I want to sell as many books as possible, but it's not like I'm going to be homeless if I lose a few sales. Hopefully, the goodwill will offset this and get me new readers. So you can always check the website to see what is happening that's new.

If you want to help out with the book, I always appreciate comments about areas that need improvement. Could certain sections be explained better? Is a tutorial not clear enough? Do I need more tutorials? Things like that. I could send you chapters if you actually wanted to comment on them in detail.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version