Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Embedded table information Post Reply Post New Topic
aekelund

Online Status: Offline
Quote aekelund Replybullet Topic: Embedded table information
    Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 1:57pm
I'm working on a crystal report that was built custom by another person there is a table and column name in { }, the software company that the report runs off of has recently upgraded their software and now the database schema has changed and that column { } is empty and no longer is in use.  I have the new table and column names and I'm tryinig to convert this report so that it can use the new database schema.  My problem lies when I try to change to location of the table and column in the {} I don't see where that is possible. Has anybody ever ran into something like this?

Regards,
Andrew
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 12:11pm

Have you looked at the Set Datasource Location option on the database menu?  It will allow you to move from one table to another.  If there's a field in the source table that doesn't exist in the destination, it will bring up a dialog that will let you map it to a different field.  If the destination table has all of the fields as the source plus some additional fields, I would also do a 'Verify Database" after setting the location to the new table (this may be redundant, but it won't hurt anything.)  The new table will be brought in with the old table name, but you can change that in the Database Expert.

If you want to change an existing field on the report, you'll have to delete the old field and then drag the new field into the same position.  If you want to change it in a formula, you just have to type over the old information in the formula.

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 20 Apr 2007 at 12:12pm
IP IP Logged
aekelund

Quote aekelund Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:23am

So, can you only update tables and not fields within tables? Also where do you drag the new field from?

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:33am

The Set Datasource Location will allow you to map one field to another, but only if the original field does not exist in the new table.  If it does exist, you have to delete it and add the new field.

After you set the location, the new field should be available in the Field Explorer.  If it's not, then go to the Database menu and select "Verify Database" and try again.

-Dell

IP IP Logged
aekelund

Quote aekelund Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 7:41am

Ok im almost there, I've fixed the report so that it is now getting no error as far as the database schema is concerned. Now the only error that im seeing is a "statement is expected here" error then the formula workshop window pops up and has a statement highlighted.  What the statement is doing is looking for a value in one of my fields then it is giving it a name such as "A" for approved or "P" for pending.

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 7:46am
Does the field from the formula still exist in the table?  You'll need to edit to that it's looking for the right field in the right table.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
aekelund

Quote aekelund Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 9:59am
I'm stuck I'm struggling with the fact that I cannot change the location of where, what appears to be a embedded field object, is gathering data from a database field that no longer exsists.  I right click on the object field and it doesn't have the option to Edit Embedded Field! I'm at  a lost could you loint me in another direction?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 10:19am
What do you mean by Embedded? 

Is it in an text object?  If so, double-click on the text object, select the field, delete it and drag the new field into the same place. 

Is it in a formula?  If so, edit the formula to replace the old field with the new on.

Is it just a field on the report?  If so, delete the old one and drag the new one to the same position.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
aekelund

Quote aekelund Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 11:47am

When you say drag do you mean o drag the column from the database expert?

Edited by aekelund - 26 Apr 2007 at 6:54am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version