Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Using API and CMS Post Reply Post New Topic
donald5756

Online Status: Offline
Quote donald5756 Replybullet Topic: Using API and CMS
    Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 10:31am
I want to know is there anyone out there know how to use the API part of CR XI Enterprise. Because I am total confused on how to use this and where to start using this function..... This is what I want to do, I want to create a report so I can have the user to pick and choose any field and put on report. If there anyone know how to use this part of Crystal please help me.. my phone is 954-788-7959 Donald

Also I would like to know have anyone had this problem before. My CMS service keep stopping for what ever reason. I always have to go in and restart that service. I have it set to restart automatic. Do anyone know why this service always stop and all the other services never stop.
Thanks, Donald
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 4:55pm
Is there any pattern to when the CMS stops?  For example, do you have to restart it every morning?

One of the reasons the server will stop is if it loses its connection to the CMS database. 

As for your API question, the .NET SDK for BO Enterprise XI is very rich and not that difficult to use.  However, it's not set up to do they type of thing that you want them to do.  There might be a way to do it by writing an application that generates the data an runs the report, though.  Please explain a little better exactly what you're trying to do and I may be able to point you toward a solution.

-Dell

IP IP Logged
donald5756

Quote donald5756 Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 9:08am
I went into services and change the restart time to 8 min it was set to 1min,  hope that will do the trick. Because I was thinking just in case we are loosing connection with the database or power or whatever I hope this will restart it self in 8 min after all the other services starts.

this is what I want to do with a report.
1. I want to have the end user to create there own reports by picking and choosing the fields from the parameter box.  Do a search on a field and it will give me a result.
Thanks, Donald
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 10:09am
Ok.  The only way I know of to do this type of report is through a separate application unless you're only talking about a couple of fields (2 or 3 at most.)  You need to decide up front what the maximum number of fields you'll allow the users to select.

1.  Create two report tables with the following structure (ALL fields are String/VarChar fields except Report_ID which is numeric.):
Report_Header
Report_ID
Field1_Label 
Field2_Label
Field3_Label
FieldN_Label

Report_Data
Report_ID
Field1
Field2
Field3
FieldN

If the report must be run through BO, these tables will be in your database.  If it will just be run through your application, they can be in-memory tables (ADO.NET dataset in Visual Studio.)

2.  Write an application where the user can select which fields to include in the report.  When the user runs the report, the application will fill the tables with data from the selected fields only, in the order in which the fields were selected - one record in Report_Header for the column titles and one or more records in the Report_Data table.

3.  Create a report off of the two report tables.  Link from Report_Header to Report_Data on the Report_ID field.  Use the Report_Header values to show column labels.  On each header and data field on the report, put something like the following suppress formula (N is the number of the field you're working with):

IsNull({Report_Header.FieldN_Label})

This way, if the user doesn't select fields for all possible columns on the report, the ones not selected won't appear on the report.

Once your application extracts the data, it will also schedule the report in BO (if that's what you need) OR it can display the report in the CrystalViewer component inside the application itself.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
donald5756

Quote donald5756 Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 8:52am
Can I call you or you call me because I am total confuse on this. where to go and what to do here on this report. plus I have more question on how to do this wondering if I am going in the right direction or not. I hope it is ok for me to call you or you call me. 957-788-7959 office / 954-818-5726 donald
Thanks, Donald
IP IP Logged
dnash

Quote dnash Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2007 at 3:54pm
I am interested in helping my clients automate the report distribution process.  Do you have to purchase the report server product or is there a good third party app to do this?

Client has mutliple locations and needs to email a report to each.  Do you have to run individual reports (key off the file name???) or do you use a bursting function and key off a location name within the report?

Sage FAS fixed assets has also integrated Crystal (not sure what version they are on).  Will report server or a third party app work on this as well?

thanks for your help.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2007 at 11:32am
There are 3rd party tools available for bursting and distributing reports.  See http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html for a good list of various types of tools that are available.  If you're using Business Objects Enterprise, you can also check out APOS at http://www.apos.com/.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version