Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: CR v9 - Page Header Issue Post Reply Post New Topic
pnk_flyd

Online Status: Offline
Quote pnk_flyd Replybullet Topic: CR v9 - Page Header Issue
    Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:06pm
Normally, page header information is located at the top of the report.  However, my project requires me to place header information on the right side of the report about half way down the page.  The report is actually just data that is printed onto pre-printed Bill of Lading forms.

How can I get header information to display down the right side of the report?  I tried using subreports but this isn't working for me as it causes the detail informaton to start 2/3 of the way down the page.

I almost want a subreport that "floats" on a certain area of the preprinted forms but I haven't found a way to do this.  Any suggestions would be very grateful.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 1:37pm
Offhand I would say that you couldn't, but it might be doable, though I wouldn't hold out too much hope. 

I would store the header information, which and count lines and print the data the one time based on line information.  It would be a lot of suppression and formula and I am not sure if it would work, but I would attack it that way.  I think that underlay might come into play as well.  Shared variables and conditional suppression would seem to be the path...Maybe someone else knows a simpler method.

Hope this helps
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 4:49pm
I agree with Lockwell that this is not really possible given that by your description you also need this to print details along side the header.
Not really knowing your exact needs 2 possible options come to mind.
1. Create 2 reports-one with "header info" and the second with your detail data. Run them seperate but put the paper back through so you essentially print 2 reports onto one piece of paper.
2. Second option would be to re-think what your header is and see if you can code what you need from a "header" into multiple detail lines that would look like the 'header'. This may or may not be possible based on what the rest of the report requirements are that need to appear on the left side of the details but it may be worth considering.

Edited by DBlank - 03 Feb 2009 at 4:50pm
IP IP Logged
pnk_flyd

Quote pnk_flyd Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 8:13am
after a lot of researching I think I've found my solution.  I realized that I can create a second header section that prints the desired data.  but the key to this was to make this second header's property "Underlay Following Sections."  I think this makes the detail section "ride" on top of the second header.  I am not able to print my desired information on the right side of the report.

thanks to lockwelle and DBlank for their input... they were definitely helpful in finding out the potential use of the second header.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version