Message Icon Topic: Dont want to link tables Post Reply Post New Topic
peter
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote peter Replybullet Topic: Dont want to link tables
    Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 3:35pm
Hi,
I'm using CR Version 10. I have two database connections: 1st for main data, 2rd for getting info from a lookup table. I dont want to do a LINK which not relevant a create duplicate record.
So Can I not to link the 1st to the 2nd table at all.
Thanks.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 3:41pm
can you rephrase the question? You say that you don't want to link tables, but what is the problem?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
peter
Groupie
Groupie

Quote peter Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 3:57pm
Thank you for your fast response.
I dont want to link the data of two tables, but CR links them by some auto-arrange.
I have two tables let's say:
1) Table 1 (main data sourece) contains Customer ID (key), Customer Level (Non-key)
2)  Table 2 (just a few records for lookup for Customer Level description) contains Customer Level, Customer Level Description.

Now:
I tried to link the Customer Level from table 1 to table 2. CR 10 does not link it correctly for me so I tried not to link them by CR still linked them and created wrong/duplicate records.
So I plan to just connect the second table, dont link it the the first table, write a function to get the Customer Level Description onto the report.

Hope that it clear. Thank you, Brian. There must be a simple way ???
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2007 at 2:09am
You can click on the link and delete it. Then reference the fields in the table within the report. Now I might be wrong, but I think that CR10 lets you have disconnected tables. I know its fine in CR 11, but I'm not sure if this is a new feature in 11 or if it was there in 10 also. Anyway, try deleting the link and see if it lets you.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
peter
Groupie
Groupie

Quote peter Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2007 at 9:34pm

Brian, thank for taking time to response to my questions. I'm using CR 10 and it really takes longer to run when I connected it to a 2nd small table (no-links) just to do some lookup.

And also how can I spin a small lookup-table only once at the beginning, saves the results as a globla recordset for lookup later. This will eliminate the run-time that for each record read from the main table would have to spin the second table to do a lookup. I think CR is still very primitive ??? 

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2007 at 9:53pm
I don't know why you get the delay with unlinked tables. Maybe it tries to read it multiple times? Don't know.

Re the second question, you can't do it. You CAN save the fields to some variables or an array and then use that on the form.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version