Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Problem with CR for VS connecting sql 2005 express Post Reply Post New Topic
Edmund-B

Online Status: Offline
Quote Edmund-B Replybullet Topic: Problem with CR for VS connecting sql 2005 express
    Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 2:20am
I'm not a programmer. i'm actually a system analyst trying to get the most i can to prototype my systems into asp.net

I have a database made with sql server 2005 express that comes along with visual studio 2005. when i attempt to create a new crystal report, i tried to connect using the wizard. apparently i cannot find how to connect to my database so i can retrieve my data.

after roaming around for some time on the net, i found out that i should be creating an OLE DB (ADO) connection. i supplied the following information

Server : EDMUND-PC\SQLEXPRESS
Integrated security : true

how ever, i cannot see my database in the list of databases. only 3 called Master, Msdb, and tempdb. none of them contain my database tables.

also when i leave the database field blank, it returns the Master database which is irrelevant.

Any ideas?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 11:08am
You definitely need to see those databases in your list. The problem is that your user ID doesn't have access to them. Your ID must not be in the group list of those allowed to use the data. Talk to the db administrator to get it worked out.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Edmund-B

Quote Edmund-B Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 2:00am
So Brian, your saying my local windows user doesnt have enough permissions to access the database?

it makes sence some how. i'm using a laptop with windows vista ultimate on. and every single time i start VS 2005 it gives me a warning that i must be an admin so i can start/access some of VS 2005 features. my local windows user happens to be an admin too Ouch

i will look further into it and report any changes. thanks a million

btw i happen to be every thing in this project. analyst designer db admin etc... Cry

Edited by Edmund-B - 05 Aug 2008 at 2:01am
IP IP Logged
Edmund-B

Quote Edmund-B Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 12:34pm
nothing :(

i'm probably missing something. probably a line of code in C# website project.. any one has any ideas?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 2:28pm
unfortunately, i'm not an admin. But I would look into group permissions for the user id. Find out if the user has access to that port (I'm running into that problem right now at a client - it's a new db that I'm supposed to report from and my ID doesn't have proper permissions to get the data). There are a zillion admin related things that affect who can access what. Makes my head spin (and that's why I stick with writing code...)
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Edmund-B

Quote Edmund-B Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 7:11pm
Thanks brian, appreciate ur efforts =)
IP IP Logged
Edmund-B

Quote Edmund-B Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 11:42pm
Found the solution

turns out that SQL server 2005 EE does not attach your database to your database engine. it appears to be attached in VS 2005 because apparently VS makes a virtual attachment.

so what i did: i downloaded Management studio for SQL 2005 Express and attached the database file to it. now i can see it in the database expert as long as i create a new command

i hope this helps someone :)
IP IP Logged
fanan

Quote fanan Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 6:37am
i have sql server express @ the client pc how can i generate reports without install management studio for sql express
IP IP Logged
PGScannell

Quote PGScannell Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:06am
I hope this thread is still open.

I'm having a data connectivity problem, but I don't think it's permissions related.  I can do a "Preview Data..." in the data Sources window; I can assign the data source to my report; I verified the database there; but when I run the report, I get headings and nothing else.  No error messasge or anything.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version