Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: CR.NET 2005 Book release Post Reply Post New Topic
janez

Online Status: Offline
Quote janez Replybullet Topic: CR.NET 2005 Book release
    Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:04am
Hi Brian,

I have seen that you are going to release an updated version of a book on CR.NET (Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Volume 2: Programming .NET 2005).
Amazon says release date is May 1st, 2008.
Will the book be released until that date?
If not, do you already have an estimated date when the printed book will be available?

Thanks
Janez
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 8:27pm
Hi Janez,

Thanks for your interest in the book. Unfortunately, I'm not going to make the May 1st date. I'm estimating sometime in June right now. I am posting chapters as I finish them to the website's ebook area (I'm posting the chapter on the report object models tomorrow), but my schedule is too crazy to get the print version online as I had hoped.

Brian

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
janez

Quote janez Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 2:02am

Brian,

thanks for the info.

Will you be covering CR.NET bundled with Visual Studio 2008, too?

Couple of pages on what's new or what have changed would be good, although I think there are not many differences between 2005 and 2008 versions (just guessing, actually haven't tried 2008 version yet).

Thanks
Janez
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 2:29pm
Yes, it's going to be a 2005/2008 book. However, I have both versions on my computer and for CR I don't see any differences yet. But I'll do an 'official' check when I go to their conference in May and get a chance to meet up with some people on the CR team and find out the nitty-gritty on what they did with the 2008 version.

The big thing I'll be covering is that CR 2008 has (the non-bundled version) allows runtime report modification and creation without any extra charges. So by doing a single upgrade you get the complete Report Creation API built-in. Pretty nice deal. But that added a lot of work to the book that I wasn't planning on. Ugh. But it will be good stuff and should help out a lot of people. Just this week I figured out how to use CR.NET 2005 to add javascript to every report object so you can modify it's properties on the client side. I didn't realize that this functionality was in there. It's pretty slick. I guess that the good thing about writing a book is that it forces me to explore some pretty esoteric stuff and then I get to learn cool tips and tricks. That will be in the chapter I hope to post online before tonight.

You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version