Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports .Net Tutorials Post Reply Post New Topic
bahamaER

Online Status: Offline
Quote bahamaER Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports .Net Tutorials
    Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:47am
Hello,

I just recently purchased 2 of the author books from amazon.  I'm currently still waiting on their arrival.  In the mean time I have a project that needs to be completed. I have created a report in Crystal Reports 2008, with 2 subreports for calculations.  I would now like to develop an interface with Visual Studio 2005 to display and print the reports.  I see that VS 2005 has Crystal Reports integrated. 

I would like to find a tutorial that will step me through creating a windows or web form and import my Crystal reports into the program and display refreshed data from a sql database and not the data saved with the report.  All my database connections were done in Crystal Reports 2008.  I would also like to deploy this project, so that a user is able to go through an menu, run and view the reports then print.

Any recommendations on good tutorials will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 10:12am
Thanks for getting my books! I hope you find them helpful.

Since you are using CR 2008, the .NET book is a bit dated. Most if of still applies, but the biggest issue is that ASP.NET sites no longer allow embedded reports. You have to use the Load() method to print reports. The good thing about .NET 2005 is that when you create a new project, you can specify a Crystal Reports template and it adds everything you need to your application so you can quickly create a new report and preview it. I suggest you do that for the quickest way to start a new application and print reports.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
bahamaER

Quote bahamaER Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 12:02pm
I dont think I have gotten the concept of embedded reports?......
If I use the crystal report template with the main report, does that automatically bring in the subreports?  What about datasources? Does that have to be recreated in visual studio?  Is there any posting here that could help me?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 1:18pm
An embedded report is when you create the report within VS.NET and you refer to it by its class name and not the physical report object on your hard drive.

As you have figured out, there is a lot to learning CR. The sample chapters I have online tell you a little, but you are just going to have to wait for the books. The CR help files will tell you more, but as you can imagine they aren't very easy to figure out b/c they are poorly organized. But it's a start.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version