Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Using Parameter Fields Post Reply Post New Topic
jman1018

Online Status: Offline
Quote jman1018 Replybullet Topic: Using Parameter Fields
    Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 4:10am
Hello All,
I'm wondering if the following question is possible? I've created a report to query our database upon opening the CR using a "Parameter Field" called Jobs. Users enter the Job number and it returns all the records for that Job. What I need to do is the following; The user enters the Job number as mentioned above. Then I need the user to select only some of the records returned. Is this possible and how?

Thanks,
Jody
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 3:56am
Depending on what version of CR you have, there is a way to have what is called a cascading parameter (lots of info on the internet about it).  Not sure if it will work the way you want it to.
IP IP Logged
jman1018

Quote jman1018 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 4:11am
Thanks for responding. I have version 2020 SP3. I found a Topic in this forum called Cascading Dynamic Parameter that I'm trying. It seems to work, but when I run, it only shows first 150 jobs, not all 49,000. I also found where you can change the registry to increase the returned records, but I didn't want to change it to 49,000+. I saw in a post where I can create a DB command to filter only "Active" Jobs. Can you give me an example of a simple query? I assume I would need to add it to "Add Command" under "Database Expert" correct?

Thanks,
Jody

Edited by jman1018 - 27 Jun 2022 at 5:21am
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 4:31am
There is a limit to the number of entries for a parameter.  I thought was a 1000.   There is a way to override that limitation (I do not recall how).
IP IP Logged
jman1018

Quote jman1018 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 5:25am
Sorry, I had updated my previous post to include the following. I also found where you can change the registry to increase the returned records, but I didn't want to change it to 49,000+. I saw in a post where I can create a DB command to filter only "Active" Jobs. Can you give me an example of a simple query? I assume I would need to add it to "Add Command" under "Database Expert" correct?

Thanks,
Jody
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:48pm
Does the user need to see all 49K?

Do they know the Job# or are they hunting for it?

It has been a while since I used cascading parameters...In the select command where you are requesting the job numbers, you would add in the logic for the Active records.

HTH
IP IP Logged
jman1018

Quote jman1018 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 3:29am
No, the user doesn't need all 49K and they already know the Job# they are looking for. I ended up adding a "Add Command" under "Database Expert" with a parameter field to lookup the Job# first. Then in the report I used the Parameter Fields/Dynamic to be able to pick the items (in this case material) under the Job#. At this point it seems to be working. If there is a better way I would be interested. Thanks for all of you for your help.

Jody
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version