Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Summarizing a formula using Next and Previous Post Reply Post New Topic
jsh8286
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote jsh8286 Replybullet Topic: Summarizing a formula using Next and Previous
    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:40am
Have a report designed using the following formula to see if the descriptions for item records is the same:

if trim({'PRICE_SHEET_'.NEWDESC}) = trim(next({'PRICE_SHEET_'.NEWDESC}))

or trim({'PRICE_SHEET_'.NEWDESC}) = trim(previous({'PRICE_SHEET_'.NEWDESC})) then "YES - REPEAT!!" else "NO - OK"

LONG story short how do I summarize (group) all the 'YES's' and all the 'NO's' to group together so I can get a total of each?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
IP IP Logged
jsh8286
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jsh8286 Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:08pm
I can not group the report as previously posted since the field I want to group on to do a count contains the "Next" and "Previous" functions.

If I do a formula to return a different record based on those fields it won't let me count or group it.

For example I used the following on the above formula posted earlier with an InStr formula:

if instr({@description repeats},"NO - OK")>0 then 1 else
if instr({@description repeats},"YES - REPEAT!!")>0 then -1 else 0

This returned exactly what I wanted on the report. Problem again is when I go to insert a sum(count) or try to group on this formula I can't since it references the original Next and Previous functions in the original formula.

Assume a workaround but at this point I am lost.

Thanks in advance for any postings.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 4:30am
I am not sure there is.  Next and Previous are evaluated after the grouping.  So unless you can do something in a sub-report and pass back a result.  I do not know if there is another solution.  The newer versions of MS-SQL do have previous/next type functions.  So it may be possible to do it in a command if your data source is MS-SQL and it is new enough (unfortunately I do not recall what version has the functions)>

IP IP Logged
jsh8286
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jsh8286 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 5:28am
Issue "Resolved" - As frustation built I should have done this in the first place. I just exported the resulting printout to an Excel file and sorted it that way.

Thanks keviray for your input. Would still like to know if possible since I sure as you know what figure it out.

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:30am
Unfortunately.  I do not have much time to devote to working on a solution (I am mostly here just to provide a quick solution if there is one).  But if you are using a newer version of MS-SQL (2012 or newer).  The functions are called Lead and Lag.
IP IP Logged
jsh8286
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jsh8286 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:51pm
Thanks again kevlray. I appreciate your input. Unfortunately no on the MS-SQL but make note of your functions anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Still searching for an answer.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version