Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Database View Not Visible to CR 2013 Post Reply Post New Topic
McIntoshJ

Online Status: Offline
Quote McIntoshJ Replybullet Topic: Database View Not Visible to CR 2013
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:59am
I have Crystal Reports 2013 SP8 (V14.1.8.2060) where I access a MS-SQL 2012 SP2 Database (V11.0.5522). I have designed hundreds of reports against this database without issue. I use an ODBC connection to the database.

The vendor created a View for me. Using the ODBC, I can access the view (see it and link to it) with MS-Access 2007. However when attempting to select the View from within Crystal Reports, the View is not visible to select. If I create a SQL query command in CR 2013, I can connect and attach the View and access the records. I just cannot see the View for selection to include in a report.

I am not SQL proficient by any means so visually selecting and linking this View to other database tables is the only method I a familiar with.

I have tried several SQL drivers in the ODBC definition: SQL Server, SQL Server Native Client 11.0, and ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server.

I have had our SQL Database Support Team to look for issues with the View and they found none. I can connect to the database with SQL Server Management Studio and access the View and see all the records it contains.

Everyone is pointing to the issue being Crystal Reports 2013.
JM
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:09am
The first question.  Under Options, Database tab.  Data Explorer section.  Is Views checked?  In one case I had created a stored procedure and thought I could not see it.  But it was because I navigated down the wrong tree in the database connection to see it. I opened up sys when I should have opened dbo.
IP IP Logged
McIntoshJ

Quote McIntoshJ Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:38am
Yes, views is checked. I can see and navigate the Views tree in the database. I can see other views that have been created in that tree. I just can't see this one that I need.
JM
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 5:37am
Very odd, almost seems to be a permissions issue.  But if you are connecting to the DB using the same credentials in crystal as you are in Management Studio then maybe crystal is the issue.
IP IP Logged
McIntoshJ

Quote McIntoshJ Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 1:30am
Yes, I am thinking it is a Crystal issue as well. Myself and a SQL support technician checked the permissions and found nothing out of line. And, like you stated, I can see the view in both MS-Access and Management Studio and I can attach the view in Crystal using a SQL command line.
JM
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version