Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Groups and sorting Post Reply Post New Topic
chadbrewyet

Online Status: Offline
Quote chadbrewyet Replybullet Topic: Groups and sorting
    Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 9:37am
I'm trying to set up a report to send to our technicians on a daily basis. The report will show them their time logs for that day.I have the report displaying all the information I want correctly but I'm having trouble sorting the entries the way I want.

So, each tech will work their jobs based on their service orders and each service order will have multiple time logs. In order to reduce confusion, I only want to display the earliest start time and the latest end time for all time logs on a given service order. For example, a service order has a one time log from 8:30-9:00 and another from 9:00-10:00 and the line would read like:

SO #   Customer   Start Time    End Time
12345 ABC Co.       8:30        10:00

I've set up a group on the service order number, suppressed the details, and put my fields in the group footer. Like I said, it shows all of the information correctly. However, service orders are not necessarily worked in numerical order. So, a service order with a higher number may have a start time earlier than a previous service order which causes the report to sort on the service order number and not the start time. I'd like to sort the records based on the start time of the time logs and not the service order number.

Is it possible to still group by the service order but sort based on the start time of the time logs? Is there a better way to achieve this?

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 11:57am

in the SO# group place a summary as the minimum on the start time field

in the group sort expert use that min value to sort the groups
if you do not already have a grouping on the technician you may need to add that as a higher level group than the SO# group
IP IP Logged
chadbrewyet

Quote chadbrewyet Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 3:59am
Hot damn! That did it.

Thanks.

And I did do a group on the techs initially but I won't need to in the end since the report will be selected for a particular tech and only that tech.

Thanks again. I love this place!!!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version