Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Graph Data Labels Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Dr4ke

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Topic: Graph Data Labels
    Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 6:23am
Afternoon all,

This is quite a broad/generic question but wanted to know if anybody has some good tips/tricks when it comes to formatting a Graph's data labels.

I'm sure everybody has experienced the same issue; you create a graph in a report and there is so much data the data labels squeeze up so much they are useless!

So what do you do to resolve the issue? I know there is the option to 'Skip Group Labels' but what if you have graphs by group and there is more data for one group than the other - then you'll have to manually 'Skip Group Labels' for each group (potentially every month if data fluctuates).

Even if there isn't a different amount of data sometimes the difference in time between the data labels can be so large (10 Hours +) that they are useless anyway..

Does anybody have some good tips that they use when working with Graphs?

Is there the ability to have a graph with a small number of data labels and then have a 'drill' capability to see a smaller time frame and see the actual time of a peak, for example, and investigate it further??
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 9:05am
Not following all of your issues with the "amount of data inside a group" but as far as drill down you can make a graph drill into another graph (actually a group).
You have to make the graph utilize the same structure as the rest of the report and use summarized group values as the display in the graph.
The charts become an option to drill into other groups or details.

example of a bar chart
report set up is
group by continent
sum sales at this group
group by country (inside continent)
sum sales by country
Group by city (inside country)
sum sales by city

place a side by side bar chart in each groups' group header
under the Chart data tab select 'group' and select the grouped on field and the available sum value
This now lets you use each bar in the barchart to drill into that group.
You will notice your cursor turns into the drill down magnifying glass when you point at the chart.
Since you have another chart in the next level down group header it looks like you are drilling into another chart.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke

Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 12:03am
Hey DBlank,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in my response.

'Drill down' in the sense of using the Crystal Reports application or Crystal Report Viewer is not really an option.

What I was referencing when I mentioned the "amount of data inside a group" was an example like the following:

1) A script runs every 15 minutes which logs out a Computers CPU utilisation to a database.

2) That database is then connected to Crystal and a report is generated for a month.

As the data is being captured for every 15 minutes the number of data labels will be too big to display on a graph.

Some systems may experience down-time, and thus the data will not be captured for a period of time, so setting all graphs to 'skip group labels = static value' will provide inconsistent results.

I also don't want to have average values (i.e. per day/hour/ AM and PM).

There may be no solution but I wondered if anyone has any tips/tricks they use for graphs....
IP IP Logged
z9962

Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 2:38am

Just to understand, you want to visually see CPU utilisation at every 15 minute block for the entire month? And where it is high, you would like to be able to see the time this happens?

IP IP Logged
Dr4ke

Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:10am
I was just looking for people's tips/tricks for how they manage this situation.

But if the scenario you have described is possible then that would be ideal! So have the actual graph show CPU utilisation every 15 minutes and have the data labels show when it has spiked.
IP IP Logged
z9962

Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:24am

I wouldn’t do it in a graph, you have to many data points for it to be readable to the level you want. for trend data it would be fine, or if you were using CR to view the report where you could drill down.

the problem is, you want to display over 2800 data points in one view.

There are many different options, though it really depends on business requirements, and an understanding of how to interpret the data.

If you really want to see every single point of data, 1 solution might be to put the times in the details section, then use a text box with a custom width based on the cpu usage, change the colour and it will give you a visual of what is happening.

IP IP Logged
Dr4ke

Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:31am
I don't necessarily need to see every data point; as you say this will make the data labels unreadable due to the amount of them.

It would be fine to only show a certain amount but my question is for tips/tricks on how people achieve this. As my graph forms part of a group a static 'Skip Group Labels' isn't sufficient.

For example is there a way to tell Crystal Report to skip as many as it feels is necessary?
IP IP Logged
z9962

Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:35am
You would write a formula on how you want to group the data, eg hourly, etc... other options include addtional software (not free) I have used ThreeDGraphics
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke

Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:39am
I only want the data labels to be grouped by a specific time though - I still want the graph to display data every 15 minutes.
IP IP Logged
z9962

Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:44am
This might work?

Create a formula to display the time every hour when it occurs, ie 3pm,4pm etc.

Create a group on the actual time field, select the option (group options) option tab, to display a field, select the formula.

This will then mean you have a group for every record, though only the time for every hour will be displayed.

create a graph on this data?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version