Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Is the Forum dead or do you just do not have time? Post Reply Post New Topic
sinflspeed

Online Status: Offline
Quote sinflspeed Replybullet Topic: Is the Forum dead or do you just do not have time?
    Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 8:56am
Why is there no attempt to weed out the spam?!?!?  Is the Forum useless? Do you not have the time to handle this? Or do you not care about it?

I'm sure there are members willing to make the forum work for you.  Helps us out and you at the same time.

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 4:21pm

We have been under a MAJOR spam attack for the last 10 days or so.  I have been doing what I can to weed it out and deactivate the accounts that are sending it - several HUNDRED messages.  However, I, like Brian, am a volunteer here.  We are both consultants with heavy work loads who do the forum administration in our "copious" spare time.  We ARE trying, but we also have jobs and families that require our time.

Something you can do to help would be to report the spam as you find it - there is a small red button at the bottom right of each post that you can click on for this.  Several people have been doing this and it's very helpful - especially when the spam is embedded in an existing thread instead of being set up as a new thread.

Thanks!

-Dell
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 6:10am
I cannot find the small red button (maybe my eyes are getting too old)?!?
IP IP Logged
sinflspeed

Quote sinflspeed Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 6:24am
It isn't red.  It is the radio button below the post that says "report" with an exclamation point.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:16pm
I decided to require new registrations to get permission by me before they can post to the forum. I didn't want to do this b/c I don't want to block valid users. Nonetheless, the site is effectively under attack by spammers and this is necessary.

What I learned is that the spammers are creating their accounts at night, registering as being from the UK, but have IPs from China (they are waking up when we are going to bed). I also see that they are using the similar IP address blocks and I've disabled them.

I also added an RSS feed to my browser of the new posts so I can watch for any spammy posts while I'm at my client's office. This will let me delete the spam and block the spammer immediately.

Hopefully this will slow them down and get this site back to normal without having our wonderful members who volunteer their time on this site having to fight spam rather than helping each other with their questions.   

Brian
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:15pm
I noticed also if you see a spammer online that it's most likely a bot and if you'll send a message using "Private Messenger" it will stop it.It will then,however, create a new profile and start again but if you're patient and do this about 3 or 4 times it will give up.

Or it's one heck of a coincidence that it looked like it worked.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version